Sign in to follow this  

Labor Day Camping Help Needed.

Hello All,

I am looking to do some camping this weekend with the girlfriend. Since she is in school at UNC (Greeley) we will be in the North end of the state. We are interested in doing some primitive camping in the mountains. Problems is though, I do not know of anywhere to camp. I live in the Springs and camp around here and summit county a bunch, but never in the north end of the state. We went to Rocky Mtn National last year, but we want to go somewhere that we do not have to pay. That is why we are interested in some primitive camping. I do not want to travel anymore than an hour and a half from Loveland.

Does anyone know of any places that would be of interest?

Any where in the National forest. I would recomend going up deadman rd that look around there. There are all sorts of forest service roads up there that will get you off the beaten path.

There is also the Indian peaks which are great but not quite as accessable by vehicle outside of the middle saint vrain and coney flats area.

The Rawah wilderness area is suppose to be beautiful, but have never been there my self and is outside of the 1.5 hour limit.

Swap Lady south of Redfeather is OK, and close (~1hr).

Deadman above Redfeather is better. Farther back you go the higher you get. Some riding too, if you can avoid head-ons with ATV's. (~1 1/2 hr)

If you want to go a little further, North of Gould is a great place to camp (other side of Cameron Pass). Take about 2 hrs from Loveland. Again, some riding there if you avoid ... Just take a left off of Hwy 14 at Gould and there are camping spots all over. Ride to Teller City / Baker Pass is magnificent country (4wd/ATV/bike).

All will be crowded given the holiday.

Get a Trails Illustrated map if you venture far from the roads.

Are you wanting to ride as well? If not I would suggest Pingree Park up the Poudre. There are some trails up there, but they are short and you have to trailer your bike between them unless you're plated. It's only about an hour from Loveland. There are lots of remote areas up there especially on the Brown's Lake side. Brad.