Sign in to follow this  

cheap bolts and hardware

has any one had problems with the hardware on their bikes.it seems that suzuki went cheap on certain things.i snapped a triple clamp bolt while tightening using a torque wrench.i crashed a few times since owning (about two months)and i didnt think that i went down that hard but on one crash i broke the one piece handle bar mount, bent the subframe(although it wasnt bad)and bent a radiator(again not bad). in another crash that wasnt that hard, i bent the lower radiater mount that attaches to the lower radiater shroud out about 45 degrees out.then while taking the radiater shroud off to bend it back in,one of the 8mm bolts that screws into the tank stripped.it appears that the metal insert is spinning in the plastic tank.these are problems that i never had owning other brands.plus does anyone know how to get that screw out of the tank.

Easiest way I found to get those frozen screws out of the tank was to grind the head off of the screw.

I could then take my fingers and unscrew the rest of it outta there. (? weird)

Hard wear is abit cheaper than the Yamaha I had, But if you have a look at a Kawi you'll think your RM_Z is just perfect... :thumbsup:

The suzuki bolts are light years better than they were 5 years ago and as good as any brand now (better than some) from what i'v seen-some of the hidden, unimportant ones are still kinda cheap though. How did you break a pinch bolt that requires less than 20 pounds torque? That doesnt add up- and no bike is crash proof- install radiator braces, all bikes have weak subframes, the inserts in the tank will strip in the plastic if overtightened or if they freeze into the insert- especially on hondas, the handle bar mount is cast and will break if twisted- like in a crash- just put regular caps on instead.

has any one had problems with the hardware on their bikes.it seems that suzuki went cheap on certain things.i snapped a triple clamp bolt while tightening using a torque wrench.i crashed a few times since owning (about two months)and i didnt think that i went down that hard but on one crash i broke the one piece handle bar mount, bent the subframe(although it wasnt bad)and bent a radiator(again not bad). in another crash that wasnt that hard, i bent the lower radiater mount that attaches to the lower radiater shroud out about 45 degrees out.then while taking the radiater shroud off to bend it back in,one of the 8mm bolts that screws into the tank stripped.it appears that the metal insert is spinning in the plastic tank.these are problems that i never had owning other brands.plus does anyone know how to get that screw out of the tank.

I agree, some of the hardware does not seem up to par. Our sub-frame tweaked easily and then cracked and the radiators seem to get bent around without even crashing. The stock bar mounts are terrible and yes, you can replace them but come on, it is a bar mount and should be able to at least hold the bars to the clamps.

They do hold the bar to the clamp until you crash...

Ok, we were at the track last night and I saw a Grandmother tell her Grandson not to "wreck" so I politely let her know that in motocross we did not "wreck" we "crashed". I then told her not to worry that sliding out in a corner or tipping over in a rut were not crashes and she would know it when she saw a real "crash". Ok, back to the stock bar clamp, every time the bike hit the ground the clamps tweaked and/or the bolts bent and I ain't talkin about crashing. After the center piece on the upper mount broke I tried to remount the bars thinking we could at least finish off the days races. Wrong, the upper mount snapped in half between the 2 bar bolts, kind of lowers the confidence level a little.

P.S.- Nobody be hattin' on me because the above story is actually true and I say these things with Love in my heart for all bikes.

Just to give a little perspective I crashed my 06 rmz450 11 weeks ago. This was not a fall but a full blown crash I rag dolled down the track with the bike flipping at least 3 times (according to wittnesses). I suffered a concussion, 4 broken ribs, punctured lung, fractured T6, and badly wounded confidence. My RMZ, bent subframe, hammered back good as new, twisted front end (bar mounts and forks) dissassembled, reassembled, good as new. Nothing broke at all.

Just to give a little perspective I crashed my 06 rmz450 11 weeks ago. This was not a fall but a full blown crash I rag dolled down the track with the bike flipping at least 3 times (according to wittnesses). I suffered a concussion, 4 broken ribs, punctured lung, fractured T6, and badly wounded confidence. My RMZ, bent subframe, hammered back good as new, twisted front end (bar mounts and forks) dissassembled, reassembled, good as new. Nothing broke at all.

dang574, hope you are Ok, sounds like the bike won that round. Fortunately most of my RMZ woes are at the hands of my son, I tend to keep my old bike and my old butt on 2-wheels and only ride the Zook ocasionaly to keep on top of the set up.

1.5 years - original owner---- no regrets...

1 break lever- my bike actually blew off the stand on a windy day and fell against the big shade tree I was under.

I also learned from the past----- Use the right tool for the job,

routine maintenance is so much easier w/ a set of t-handles.

And work your away around your bike after every ride- check bolts/ spokes/ etc.

:thumbsup:

one more thing to add about the top bar clamps- they are pretty thin and it is VERY important that the left and right side bolts are tightened evenly and with the same torque. You need the same gap on both sides in the front and back. I'v seen these break when the bikes were being asymbled out of the box because of improper setup. I'v also seen them on bikes that have been cartwheeled several times but they are still in tact.

I also have a radiator shroud bolt that screws into a gas tank insert & a side number plate bolt that screws into a sub frame insert problem. In both cases, the inserts just turn with the bolt when turned (ie. - can't get the damn bolts out). Grinding the head won't work because the insert will still turn with the bolt body when turned. Any ideas to get the damn bolts out so I can possibly replace/repair the inserts ???

P.S. - I know I tightened the bolts in too tight and have no intentions of doing it again. But for now, NEED HELP !!

Sparkplug1972, the shroud bolts can be loosened if you can get behind the plastic and hold the collar. I had to pry the shroud off over the collar and then you can hold the collar and turn the bolt. To repair go to auto supply and get plastic weld, it comes in tubes just like JB-Weld, lay your bike over so the mix can run down around the metal nut in the tank. Make sure you put a screw in the nut to protect the threads as this stuff sets up quick.

As for the sub-frame the steel nut is pressed into the aluminum so welding is not an option and since the left plate is removed for filter service if you do not fix it well it will be a pain. Go ahead and remove the nut and get very thin piece of steel, you will need to make a hole in the steel that the nut will fit into. Have the nut tack welded to the piece of steel and then you can trim it to fit the sub-frame. Next drill and pop-rivet the bracket/nut back in place.

This topic was started about the quality of the hardware on this bike and sounds like a lot of people are having the same problems. Yes you can over tighten and have problems but I have never had this many problems on my bikes. Let's be real, you should be able to service your filter or remove the shrouds without this many issues.

Sparkplug1972, the shroud bolts can be loosened if you can get behind the plastic and hold the collar. I had to pry the shroud off over the collar and then you can hold the collar and turn the bolt. To repair go to auto supply and get plastic weld, it comes in tubes just like JB-Weld, lay your bike over so the mix can run down around the metal nut in the tank. Make sure you put a screw in the nut to protect the threads as this stuff sets up quick.

As for the sub-frame the steel nut is pressed into the aluminum so welding is not an option and since the left plate is removed for filter service if you do not fix it well it will be a pain. Go ahead and remove the nut and get very thin piece of steel, you will need to make a hole in the steel that the nut will fit into. Have the nut tack welded to the piece of steel and then you can trim it to fit the sub-frame. Next drill and pop-rivet the bracket/nut back in place.

This topic was started about the quality of the hardware on this bike and sounds like a lot of people are having the same problems. Yes you can over tighten and have problems but I have never had this many problems on my bikes. Let's be real, you should be able to service your filter or remove the shrouds without this many issues.

Thx for the info !!

I had the same tank problems with my Zooks in the 90's, funny how they still haven't addressed the issue. I now take the tank off with the shrouds attached. I think the rads are way stronger than my 03 CRF 450-they twisted when you hit a gust of wind lol. I think the bolts are alot better than my YZFs, Had to change them all the time and couldn't keep the shroud bolts from falling out.