My fingers...

When I race, always three of my five fingers on my right hand feels very hurted. I squeeze to hard on the trottle I think. Is the **** finger, and the little finger, and mostley the one between them ? Don`t know their names :ride:

Something I can do to help this pain go away..? Is like I can`t hold the bike longer.. is only me right hand it happens with.. "the one between them" hurt alot. I can feel pain days after.. What shall I do...?

Happens to me a lot. I've put it down to holding on too tight. And I have a habit of leaving 2 fingers restin on the front brake which streches my hand and makes it even worse. But If i don't leave my fingers on the lever I feel unsfae and lack confidence, for some reason.LOL. One of those things. a friend of mine loses his confidence on a bike if it has no brace across the handelbars, he feels hes going to heal out over them!

Squeeze the bike more with your knees to rest your hands.

Exactly.

Also, if you race mx/sx try taking you hand of the bar and squeeze your hand (make a fist and open) a couple times in the air. This will help get some blood flow back.

i had the same problem when i rode my ktm, i had bigger grips on that bike, but now i bought an rmz450, wich has very thin grips and my fingers dont hurt as much as before, almost nothing...it didnt help me to grip more with my knees, i guess i was holding the grips to hard anyway, the strange thing was that i didnt get much armpump... try getting thinner grips...

this used to happen to me. you are just holding on too tight. i noticed that when i was on really choppy rough tracks my fingers would freeze up and hurt, to the point where i could barely move them for a few min after getting off the bike. but on smoother tracks it was fine. i figured this was cuz on the choppy tracks i was more worried the bars were going to get jerked away so i held on tighter. i started making a consious effort to loosen my grip and hold more with my legs/knees/HEELS and i dont have any problems with my hand cramping up anymore. after a while of paying attention and loosening your grip you start to do it automatically and you dont have to think about it.

now if only i could stop getting blisters on my hands.... haha

Just an Idea but make sure your gloves aren't to tight. If they are that will help slow down the circulation in your hands. ?

:applause::applause: :applause:

Theres one you don't hear very often, but it's right on the money! If your gloves are too tight, it can definitely cause problems.

That is not to say that all the other reasons aren't probable causes also...they are. The glove thing is just one that gets overlooked alot.

And here's another one for you...this was mentioned to me by a fellow TT'er on here...are you certain that vibration isn't playing a role in all this. Was for me. I followed the other rider's advice, filled my bars with expanding foam. Bingo. Turned out my problem wasn't arm pump. It was the vibration transferring through the bars. An easy $5 fix.

And yes, grips are available in different diameters. A lot of riders prefer the smallest diameter they can find, I personally have better results from the largest diameter. But that's just me.

MXA tested those and said they made arm pump WORSE.

Really? Interesting. I just recently stating using a forearm builder and it greatly reduced arm pump for me. ? You can all the muscle in the world and isnt going to matter if you are constant deathgripping the bars and the muscles arent getting enough blood/oxygen.

Ive heard there is a surgery you can get that will permanantly eliminate arm pump. Supposedly it costs about $3000 though.

Really? Interesting. I just recently stating using a forearm builder and it greatly reduced arm pump for me. ? You can all the muscle in the world and isnt going to matter if you are constant deathgripping the bars and the muscles arent getting enough blood/oxygen.

Ive heard there is a surgery you can get that will permanantly eliminate arm pump. Supposedly it costs about $3000 though.

Hell, for $30 you can get a 10 race supply of PumpX...magic little beans....:applause:

I agree that working out does nothing but help. I have a Weider rack system in my basement with a lat pull. I put the straight bar on it, hold it at ride width and pull it down (slowly & controlled) while standing, from in front of my chest, to below my beltline. Helps alot, with also the triceps, hands, the whole arm. And also the curls for the biceps, etc. Also use the spring-clamp things for the hands. It all has a positive impact.

You could also try getting one of those forearm builders and using that to build up the strength of your fingers.

I think you also just need to relax (I know its easier said than done) and not grip the bars as hard.

Don't do it, many mag have tested them saying that they are the biggest waste of money. Alot has to do with your lever position and the mental game ?

Don't do it, many mag have tested them saying that they are the biggest waste of money. Alot has to do with your lever position and the mental game ?

I wholeheartedly agree with what alot of people have said in this thread and others...lever position plays a key role. For me, it's mostly the position of the clutch lever...I keep mine just loose enough that I can change it's position up or down, by rotating it with the two fingers I keep there at the ready for clutching. Yeah, I'm sure this is going to sound completely nuts to most, if not all....and I don't keep it so loose that it swivels every time I'm clutching. But with just a little added pressure, I can rotate it up or down for optimum location, depending on my riding position. I started doing this 4 or 5 years ago, and it really makes a big difference for me, and doesn't break my concentration on riding, it's just automatic. I'm not saying it's for everyone, or anyone other than myself...just one of those things that a person develops over time in the saddle.