Sign in to follow this  

Buying a '02 450R, Few questions

Hey guys, great forum. I'm looking to buy an used 02 CRF450R. I have a few questions.

What should I look out for? Is there anything specific that I want to let myself know before hand?

I know of course that the best thing to do is buy an 07 CRF 450, but thats outta my budget right now, and this is my first 450 so I don't think I would feel as bad about scratching and denting a 2,000~3,000 dollar bike versus a 7,000 dollar bike.

I've done a few searches on the board in regards to any '02 related problems or fixes. All that could find were the:

Radiator Cap needing to replaced with a higher pressure one

Air Box needing to be replaced with a newer/aftermarket one

How are the exhausts on the 02 bikes? I know the newer ones seem to have a pretty decent exhaust right out of the box.

Any other info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Any 2002 in good condition is a fine bike. If you could come up with another $300 and get a 2003, you might be a little more happy.

I agree the 03' are not that much more. I think they are worth searching out for.

Problem is that where I live (Las Vegas) prices are so damn inflated. If I was further east it would be cheaper. It may be from the lack of dealerships and the inflation that they have on the bike market.

IE a new CRF 450R locally will run you almost 8,000... MSRP+Markup+Doc Fees+Assembly+Tax+a million other fee's

My plan is to get the 02 keep it for a couple of years and in a year or two buy a 450X

CARLSBAD, CA $3,200.00

2003 HONDA CRF450R, Very low hours, Oil changed every ride, Meticulously maintained, lots of extras, never raced, Must go, $3200 OBO,

760-351-6523… Date Placed:26-AUG-06

VISTA, CA $3,300.00

2003 HONDA CRF450R, desert only,never raced,pro circuit exhaust,protapers,applied triple clamps,brand new rear tire,chain,grips. fast, $3300 OBO, 760-420-8795, 760-727-2560… Date Placed:28-AUG-06

Redlands, CA $3,300.00

2003 HONDA CRF450R, pro circuit pipe, mb1 suspension, recently serviced, works connection, new plastics and graphics, renthal bars, runs great, $3,300 obo,909-307-0549… More Details & Photos Date Placed:26-AUG-06

SAN MARCOS, CA $3,300.00

2003 HONDA CRF450R, new top end, black XL rims, new plastics, ASV levers, aftermarket exhaust, Tru susp, ProTaper bars, triple clamps, new chain/sprocket kit, newer tires, $3,300 or trade for small truck, call 760-743-1185… More Details & Photos Date Placed:26-AUG-06

MISSION HILLS, CA $3,350.00

2003 HONDA CRF450R, like new condition, Yoshimura pipe with spark arres, pro-taper bars, pit pro susp, new chain and sprok, full power, $3350, 818-437-2533 , 818-893-6926 days… Date Placed:26-AUG-06

SURPRISE, AZ $3,400.00

2003 HONDA CRF450R, stock, all maint done by the book, One Industries graphics, Moose skid plate, new tires, adult ridden, never been raced, located in Surprise, $3400 obo, 602-463-8884,…

looks like the 4hr drive to so-cal may be worth it??

by the way these ads were taken from cycletrader.com

Don't get the 02. The 03 and up were much better and more reliable. Take the 3 hour drive to Redlands and find a "vet owned" 03 or newer, their worth it........ :thumbsup::ride:

'02 is a fine motorcycle. I rode the s*** out of mine- bought it used, rode it hard for over a year. Numerous races- grand prix's- motorcross, twice a week practice...Never had a problem. :thumbsup:

Those deals nextrace put up look pretty good Id make the drive!! Not that far from Vegas.

I can't say enough about how stellar my '02 has been. I did some of the necessary mods right off the bat (airbox fix, triple clamps, suspension for offroad) and then rode and raced the crap out of it for going on five years. Each year I think about getting a new bike- but why? The beast has treated me really well. I have buddies with '03s and I don't see much of a difference.

i will line up my modified 02 against any 450 out there. it has been a great bike. i have made updates along the way to keep it on par with the newer bikes. click on my garage for details. i have never gone to a race and felt at a disadvantage because of the year of my bike. i will spend the money on a new bike only when i am at a disadvantage at the race track.

I have 2 in great condition 04 bikes - 3400 and 3800 and would drive them half way if you were interested.

i will line up my modified 02 against any 450 out there. it has been a great bike. i have made updates along the way to keep it on par with the newer bikes. click on my garage for details. i have never gone to a race and felt at a disadvantage because of the year of my bike. i will spend the money on a new bike only when i am at a disadvantage at the race track.

Bravo Dav!

You know, it's kind of funny in a way. I really like the new stuff from everybody pretty much, CRF, KX, RMZ, etc... That being said, my 03 CRF450 does everything I want and need it to do, so it's really hard to want to run out and buy a new bike. It's bought and paid for, it would cost less to completely go through it than to buy a new bike, plus it's dialed in for me. Why would I want to let it go? Some bikes merit hanging on to.