Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400/KLX 400 into KLX 300 motor swap.

Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? I love my KLX 300, but like all gear heads want more power, and after finding out that Falicon makes cranks to stroke the DRZ/KLX 400 motor to 450 cc.s . . . the wheels started to turn. If I can get my hands on a KLX 400 motor, convert it to kickstart, and toss in one of these crank shafts . . . I may have a potent little trail bike. My KLX 300 motor is getting tired anyhow, and if I don't have to dump a bunch of money into it, I won't. Are the dimensions between the two motors identical, or even similar. Mounts for the head stay and down will not be a problem if they need to be fabricated, but the back of the cases where the swing arm pivot bolt goes through the motor, that can be a problem, and how and where the carb mounts in realtion to the head stay bracket on the frame, that is already a tight fit with the stock motor.

ponchito, anything is possible if you try hard enough. :thumbsup::ride: But I think you'll find that a DRZ motor is significantly larger in dimension than a 300 motor. I would guess that you would end up needing to address several "creative" solutions to fit that motor in the frame. I am not aware of anyone that has done it, but if I recall correctly, I think someone once put a bigger Yamaha motor in one. At any rate, it won't be a swap and drop situation. You'll have a lot of custom fabricating to do. Keep us informed if you decide to do it though. That would be one gnarly KLX!!

Well, I am not worried about fabrication on the frame, or brackets for engine mounts, I am just concerend about the swing arm and swing arm pivot. I am just gonna have to whip out a tape measure tonight at school, I go to MMI in Phoenix. In one of our classes, we have about twenty KLX 400 just sitting on benches. Then I can go home and measure up my motor. I'm either doing that or making one quick revving 340 motor. I'm starting work at a shop in two weeks back home in Cali, I graduate Friday, and parts and tools will be readily available. I'll let you all know within the next day or so whats gonna happen with the motor swap, or the build up of my current power plant.

well i would say yes but my dad had a 400 for some time and the engines are so diffent but if you imagine i suppose that it would be possible. it is just a matter of organizing it in a good way. i have seen so many things happen to these bikes so imagine away. just takes alot of money.

Please do it, that would be an awesome and interesting read. Oh yea, take lots of pics for us. :thumbsup:

If you like the KLX and want to play......

KLX365

Custom Cams from FSW

FCR Pumper carb

Suspension swap with KX125/250

:-) !!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you'll be missing the DRZ400.

bp

I'll do it, just as long as I not have to modify the frame or the swing arm. I'd rather modifify the back of the cases. I suppose it all boils down to the actual size of the engine, height more than anything, and after all is said and done, will the countershaft sprocket still line up with the rear wheel. Hell, it may just be better to hot rod the KLX 300 motor. Either way, I'm making a portfolio of it all so when I start my business, I have before, during and after pics.