Sign in to follow this  

good deal on GPS

thought I would pass on a tip on a good deal. REI is selling the Garmin Etrex Legend Cx for $230 minus a $50 rebate. This is a pretty nice color unit for only $180.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48008963&parent_category_rn=4500600&vcat=REI_SSHP_GPS_TOC

My black & white Legend will be for sale with serial cable, manual, basemaps, Mapsource Topo and Metroguide software for $100 if anyone is interested in a lower cost unit. It is in nearly new condition.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9740053&parent_category_rn=4500600&vcat=REI_SSHP_GPS_TOC

I don't shop at REI because they contribute money to those groups that would like to see motorcylcles eliminted from public ground. :thumbsup:

I don't shop at REI because they contribute money to those groups that would like to see motorcylcles eliminted from public ground. :thumbsup:

I'm with you Goatbrother. They support anti-hunting and anti-orv groups :ride: I will not support a company that is working against us...I'm going to see if I can find that on Ebay...

That is a good deal. However, in light of the bad rep they have with off-roaders - see if another store with price match.

You can't beat having GPS around some of these areas. It's a great little device, would never give up mine.

No deal there. They want full bore retail $299. Retail's for suckers! :thumbsup:

Actually if you read further it is 259.00 plus 50 dollar mail in rebate. $209.00 from someone who doesnt want to put us all out of the woods.

There ya go-price match! It is an advertised special. I got mine already. :thumbsup:

My dad bought me an Garmin for a seven week trip to Central America back in 2000. Are the new models much better? Obviously yes, but what practical advantages to they have? I don't care for mapping as I like an old fashioned paper map I can write on when I ride. I would like better battery life that I get now. How long can the new ones run? Are the new ones better when under cover like trees or has reception not changed much?

Greg

Edit: I just checked out that model. Very interesting . . . do the maps you can buy have ORV trails marked?

Edit #2: As much as I would like a pretty color display, reception is key. What technical criteria tells you how strong a signal is needed to get a position located? Having a nice map won't mean much if the GPS won't tell me where I am located on it.

Greg, some of the specs like battery life are on the Garmin site, not sure where to get the specs on the antenna sensitivity. The advantages of the newer models are what one would expect. Mainly, more features, more memory, longer battery life, faster response, and better reception. The menus and ease of operation are also improved. It is true that the old ones ate batteries and had poor reception in the trees. This one is supposedly much better according to my other riding buddies that have it.

Garmin offers a few models with the new sirf star high sensitivity chip in them I have the GPSmap 60 Cx with the new chip and the satellite reception is excellent even under dense tree cover. Be prepared to spend alot of money though I paid 360 for it from amazon.com

I use the bicycle handlebar mount. The GPS half comes with the unit. You just need to buy the handlebar half that it clicks into. I already had the handlebar mount and was using it for the old Legend. The new Legend CX clicks into it just fine.