Sign in to follow this  

Adjusting the float

I've had 2 DRZ400 S BSR36 carbs apart now, and both floats were about right from factory

To check/adjust, I cut a piece of plastic from a gallon milk container, making sure the bottom edge was perfectly straight (razor knife and straight edge). Then using a ultra fine sharpie pen, drew a line exactly 13mm from the bottom edge. I held this on the side of the float, and then aligned my eye with the top of the two floats to check the level. I needed to bend the tab slightly until the adjustment was perfect. You may want to remove the float to do the adjustment, and check the seat. Here is a picture

EDIT 8/30/06 - Correct way, with float tab just touching, spring not compressed (also corrected post wording above)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/newaag/Float_DRZ400Sa.jpg

Incorrect Way - Picture in S Service Manual is wrong and misleading, spring is compressed leading to incorrect measurement

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/newaag/Float_DRZ400Sb.jpg

Bob

When you say they were at 7mm, do you mean full height? That seems impossibly low.

I have read someone say that height should be adjusted with the tab just in contact with the needle (not including the travel of the little pintle spring). I didnt do that, I adjusted mine with the carb fully upside down and that little spring compressed (if the floats have enough weight to compress it-wonder if I'll have to do it again?

Btw, my tab had not been bent either, just installed as it came out of the parts box.

When you say they were at 7mm, do you mean full height? That seems impossibly low.

Those numbers were estimates from memory, coulda been 9 or 10mm. What I do recall was the angle of the float base was making an angle of about 30-35 degrees with the carb bottom, as furnished stock. When properly adjusted, it is roughly parallel with carb bottom as shown in the pic above, and as shown in the factory manual.

I have read someone say that height should be adjusted with the tab just in contact with the needle (not including the travel of the little pintle spring). I didnt do that, I adjusted mine with the carb fully upside down and that little spring compressed (if the floats have enough weight to compress it-wonder if I'll have to do it again?

Btw, my tab had not been bent either, just installed as it came out of the parts box.

The manual says just in contact -

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/newaag/Float_DRZ400S.jpg

Edit 8/30/06 - And the manual picture is WRONG !

I had the same on my 06 E FCR stock carb; from factory the float was at 6mm but the manual said it should be 9mm.

I adjusted it and and the bike ran like crap - pulled the carb out and reset float to 6mm and problem fixed, bike ran normally.

I thought this is a typing error in the manual but it is the same spec for all the E model FCR carbs up to 06.

Is this unique to the Australian model (E24)?

Maybe some one in Australia can help me here?

Not that its a problem, I would like to know why the anomaly?

If you adjusted the float level the way the picture shows your carb, you probably have set it incorrectly. Assuming the float was parallel to the ground. Float show be at roughly a 45 degree angle facing up when you make the adjustment.

If you adjusted the float level the way the picture shows your carb, you probably have set it incorrectly. Assuming the float was parallel to the ground. Float show be at roughly a 45 degree angle facing up when you make the adjustment.

Are you assuming the weight of the float compressed the spring, making the adjustment incorrect? It is an easy test,

one could rotate the carb as you say 45 degrees and see if it changes. My recall is that it did not, but I have another carb off the bike, and will check tonight. I am just following the Suzuki manual to my best interpretation. The top reference position on the float is somewhat unclear, at least from the manual picture, I assumed the actual TOP of the float is used, but another might interpret the shoulder near the top is to be used.

Edit 8/30/06 - I did check, my recall was wrong. It does change as you rotate the carb. The spring does compress under the weight of the float.

I had the same on my 06 E FCR stock carb; from factory the float was at 6mm but the manual said it should be 9mm.

I adjusted it and and the bike ran like crap - pulled the carb out and reset float to 6mm and problem fixed, bike ran normally.

I thought this is a typing error in the manual but it is the same spec for all the E model FCR carbs up to 06.

Is this unique to the Australian model (E24)?

Maybe some one in Australia can help me here?

Not that its a problem, I would like to know why the anomaly?

I don't know about the E's, but my Australian S & SM manual specifies 16mm for 04 and later rather than the 13 that everyone else uses. Mine was at 16mm from the factory.

This is for UK and EU, which appears to be the same as AU, as we share the same carburettor settings and have the PAIR valve and slide assembly.

I cannot see the reason for the difference, as nothing else appeared to change in 04.

Cheers

I don't know about the E's, but my Australian S & SM manual specifies 16mm for 04 and later rather than the 13 that everyone else uses. Mine was at 16mm from the factory.

This is for UK and EU, which appears to be the same as AU, as we share the same carburettor settings and have the PAIR valve and slide assembly.

I cannot see the reason for the difference, as nothing else appeared to change in 04.

Cheers

Different float/bowl on yours.

There isnt a snowballs chance in hell I could adjust mine that far.

I checked my float level on my 'S' a few weeks ago. I got 8mm with the needle depressed and 13 mm with it barely seated. To get an acurate measurement I had to turn it horizontal untill the float barely seated.

The stock setting was dead on.

I checked my float level on my 'S' a few weeks ago. I got 8mm with the needle depressed and 13 mm with it barely seated. To get an acurate measurement I had to turn it horizontal untill the float barely seated.

Seems clear to me the manual proceedure is wrong for the measurement it gives.

I have noted in the manual that it is 6mm acording to their printed method of measurement.

AHA! You are right! :thumbsup:

I'm wrong, my pic is wrong, and the manual pic is wrong. :applause:

I just tried the spare S carb, and the weight of the float does compress the spring when the carb is measured as shown in the service manual. You need to turn the carb 90 degrees for the spring to not compress at all.

Well, I'll update my pic tomorrow and put the right one in there. Thanks