Sign in to follow this  

brake tap

How do you know what jumps you are gonna have to rear brake tap on? Do you have to do it on table tops, doubles, ones with steep landings. I am trying to get the brake tap down. But when i figure out i need to brake tap its to late. Or do you do it on every jump just to level your bike out because on some jumps i land perfect.

The brake tap is to bring the front end down. Typically if you accelerate or blip the throttle off the face it will cause your front to be high. I don't think you break it down to individual jumps. It's something you have to learn with practice.

If your front end is too high going off a jump, pull in the clutch and hit the rear brake enough to lock the rear wheel. That will put the front end back down.

It's not about particular jumps but usually it happens on the ones that are steep w/ a short run at them where you are accelerating hard up to it to make a double.

Basically what they said. ^^^^ if your front end is always too high try hitting the jumps with steadier throttle and with your body a little farther forward. BE CAREFUL with the body positioning. Just gradually change it and you wont have to worry about having an endo.

After enough seat time, you will do it and not even know you did it until after. If you have to think about it, its too late. It should be an automatic response.

I dont brake tap...

ya I have neveer needed to either. I have read on here that it is better to just come off the jump in a better position and to use the ankles as needed to make changes

If your front end is too high going off a jump, pull in the clutch and hit the rear brake enough to lock the rear wheel. That will put the front end back down.

It's not about particular jumps but usually it happens on the ones that are steep w/ a short run at them where you are accelerating hard up to it to make a double.

That's the best part of all this advice. It's amazing how many times the brake tap advice is given without that one little extra bit of info. A newbie rider I know was given the same info without the clutch part of it...had to sit and look at his new katoom for a long time, waiting for his collar bone to heal.

Hat's off to the NYMXer for his thoroughness with the small (but vital) details!

:thumbsup::applause::applause::applause::applause::ride:

Break tap is a last resort kinda thing. Move your body more forward or try hitting the jump faster.

brake tapping is something you do to make a correction. On most jumps, you shouldn't have to tap the brake. If you have to on every jump, then you are doing something wrong. Its sort of like a panic revv to get the front end up, except when you tap the brake it brings the front end down.

Pull in the clutch and tap the rear brake..make sure you use the clutch otherwise it will stall in mid air and go into a kamikaze hospital bed sore head broken bike nosedive :thumbsup: You do this when your front is too high, usually jumps that have steep incline and a short run up

Pull in the clutch and tap the rear brake..make sure you use the clutch otherwise it will stall in mid air and go into a kamikaze hospital bed sore head broken bike nosedive :applause: You do this when your front is too high, usually jumps that have steep incline and a short run up

:thumbsup::applause::applause::applause::ride::applause:

Kudos to yet another in the minority that remembers to forewarn a newb to be sure to clutch! :ride::ride::applause:

From watching the pro's at the Atlanta SX year after year, isn't this technique also used to get the back higher than the front to set up the bike's attitude for the smoothest landing on those doubles and triples? ...just an observation...

With a 4-stroker, you usually won't need to tap the rear brake unless you make a real big mistake. If you chop the throttle as you depart the ground, the front will naturally drop, due to the bike's compression braking. It'll go down even further if you throw yourself out over the bars. That nose-low attitude will allow you to really be on the gas hard as you land.

well u kinda no after u go off the lip because ur front wheel will start to go up and that is when u will need to use ur back brakejust tap it though and be sure ur clutch is in wen u do it so u dont stall

:thumbsup::lame::p:bonk::eek::bonk:

Kudos to yet another in the minority that remembers to forewarn a newb to be sure to clutch! :worthy::worthy::eek:

From watching the pro's at the Atlanta SX year after year, isn't this technique also used to get the back higher than the front to set up the bike's attitude for the smoothest landing on those doubles and triples? ...just an observation...

I would just like to say something here...as a newb that is. I read this post a couple weeks ago and thought, "WOW, I can control the bike while in the air by throttling or braking. How cool!!!". So I went home to my little jump and thought I would practice using the adjustments in the air. I'm only jumping about 15 feet onto flat ground but wanted to learn the motions for future use.

I know how to throttle in the air...that's pretty easy. So on my second jump I was airborne and laid on the rear brake. Well, I forgot to clutch :eek: Stalled the bike and went into a nice endo. Smashed my boys into my gas tank and barley rode it out. Besides a fear of future impotence, I was ok.

You have to remember, a newb like me has a death grip on the bars while airborne and releasing a couple fingers to pull in the clutch is not natural.

TO OTHER NEBS: I am now in the process of learning to clutch in the air without the brakes (baby steps). Once I have that down, I'll add in the break. Maybe soon I'll be jumping 20 feet

Anyway, great info on this website! :mad:

i have been racing for 4 years and have never once needed to brake in the air. you would be better off learning to keep your body positioning correct in the air to get the bike to do what you want. as someone said before the rear brake is a last resort.

:thumbsup::lame::p:bonk::eek::bonk:

Kudos to yet another in the minority that remembers to forewarn a newb to be sure to clutch! :mad::worthy::worthy:

Hate to point out the obvious, but if you brake tap to lower the front, then it's just natural that the rear will be higher. :eek:

I would just like to say something here...as a newb that is. I read this post a couple weeks ago and thought, "WOW, I can control the bike while in the air by throttling or braking. How cool!!!". So I went home to my little jump and thought I would practice using the adjustments in the air. I'm only jumping about 15 feet onto flat ground but wanted to learn the motions for future use.

I know how to throttle in the air...that's pretty easy. So on my second jump I was airborne and laid on the rear brake. Well, I forgot to clutch :lame: Stalled the bike and went into a nice endo. Smashed my boys into my gas tank and barley rode it out. Besides a fear of future impotence, I was ok.

You have to remember, a newb like me has a death grip on the bars while airborne and releasing a couple fingers to pull in the clutch is not natural.

TO OTHER NEBS: I am now in the process of learning to clutch in the air without the brakes (baby steps). Once I have that down, I'll add in the break. Maybe soon I'll be jumping 20 feet

Anyway, great info on this website! :thumbsup:

Keep at least one finger on the clutch at all times, problem solved.

• Like 1

i have been racing for 4 years and have never once needed to brake in the air. you would be better off learning to keep your body positioning correct in the air to get the bike to do what you want. as someone said before the rear brake is a last resort.

+100. I would like to know how just because it makes for good film sometimes. But when I first started racing I was too chicken to take my foot off the peg. Now I can jump nose high, nose down, or neutral over pretty much anything just by my body position and throttle combo. I am not a fast guy, but this I can do very consistantly and made more sense to me than learning to correct bad form in the first place.