Sign in to follow this  

Street Riding Gear Suggestions

I know there are a bazillion opinions out there, and I've surfed LOTS of posts...but I wondered if anyone can give me some suggestions on a riding jacket and pants, with the following things in mind:

- Must be cool (temperature, not just looks)...I do lots of riding in the 90+ summers here in NC. Zip-open vents are nice too, and I can always layer clothes underneath in the winters.

- Padding/protection in the high-impact zones, not necessarily removable, but better if they are.

- Must be easy to put on & take off over street clothes, especially the pants. I'd like to be able to take them off over riding boots when I get to the beer store...I mean, to the office.

- Cost. Already spent lot$ on mods, the wife is getting a bit edgy.

My problem is there are tons of ads in magazines and on the web for this kind of gear, but unless you can try it on (or have TT friends who have it), I'm always worried about ordering stuff to wear.

Suggestions? Links?

I'd get textile... unless you really live on the edge. My favorite is the Joe Rocket Alter-ego series. It is designed so that the 'base' coat and pants are mesh... so the air goes right through them when its hot. If it gets cold you zipper on the outside and its now good for colder weather. If its gonna rain, you zip in the waterproof liner and your good to go.

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_alter_ego_jacket_page.htm

It doesn't get much more versital than that.

I street ride my DRZ with Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. This is the convertible one, with zip off panels that expose full mesh. Cooler in temp on a hot day than not wearing a jacket. Also has a rain liner that is hotter than hell on warmer days, but works pretty well in the wet. I pair this with a set of Joe Rocket mesh pants for summer work. 1/2 zip legs allow easy on / off over boots. Fairly cool. I use Joe Rocket Phoenix pants for cooler weather. I'm very happy with this stuff, especially considering you can get the jacket for not much over $200, and the pants for less than than. I top it all off with a street full face and a pair of road-race type gloves. Right now I wear combat style boots, but plan to get a pair of D/S or touring type boots soon.

I leave the full dirt helmet and motocross boots at home, they are very impractical for highway speeds or walking, respectively.

just my 2 cents..

I second Regalman, New Enough is where I got my JR stuff, too. Nice stuff, and looks pretty much like an enduro jacket, making it match a D/S well.

Aerostich Roadcrafter. http://www.aerostich.com I have a one-piece suit that I wear, but you can get seperate jacket/pants. I commute year-round, and the suit is fantastic. Cordura nylon, reinforced in all the good places. Hard armor in the elbows, shoulders, knees. I added soft armor spine pad and hip pads. Lots of pockets. Lots of vents for warm weather. Enough room (I got a more loose-fitting one) to layer underneath all winter. And mine is awesome Hi-Viz yellow!

We get 90+ temps all summer and high humidity here in St. Louis, MO as well. If you are stuck at a light you get warm, but I haven't met a jacket that didn't get warm without airflow. Armor is fully removable and replaceable, suit is washable. Really easy to get on and off over street clothes. In the summer I wear shorts and a t-shirt or no shirt under the suit. I've ridden to weddings and such with a dress suit on under it, no problems.

The only requirement of yours it doesn't do so well on is price - it is costly to purchase. But, I think it is less expensive than emergency room time for road rash. I don't like to pinch pennies on my safety gear.

They crash well. I had the pleasure of highsiding my YZF while wearing it. Landed on my left side/shoulder, rolled onto my back and slid a bit. Back of the suit has some abbrasion damage, not too bad. No damage to me save a sprained wrist, and a trashed helmet.

-Rob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/183-BLUE-JOE-ROCKET-MOTORCYCLE-SUIT-2-PC-PANTS-JKT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6750QQihZ007QQitemZ170022239826QQrdZ1

I have one of these but in dark grey and love it for the street. Since they dont offer this model I am sure that you can pick one up in your size cheap. Just take off the knee sliders and your set. I looked at the aero sticth suit but the one I wanted was nearly $1,000. I wear this on the Ducati and even with the upset pipes the pants stay realativley cool. There are 4 zippers in the pants and alot in the jacket as well. Front and back. I think its very comfortable. Its called the razor suit and there are many for sale on ebay

I can't help with the pants because I have not bought any yet but I did buy a Cortech (Tourmaster) GX-Air jacket from newenough.com, It has an outer mesh shell with a sewn in perforated liner, the mesh is a tighter weave than some of the joe rocket mesh jackets that I have seen but it still flows lots of air to keep you cool. it has leather on the back and shoulders for more abrasion resistance as well as a back pad and hard armor in the shoulders and elbows. it also has a water/wind proof liner that zips in for wet or cooler weather and then also an insulated liner that zips inside of the waterproof liner for cold weather. when I was searching for a jacket I wanted a jacket that I WOULD wear in hot weather and not leave at home because it was to hot and I am very happy with this jacket because it is comfortable and cool. it is a little on the sporty side as far as looks and I bought mine in bright yellow (not Hi-viz) so the cagers see me. at about $170 shipped I think it is a good "lower cost" jacket

Olympia Airglide II - http://www.olympiamotosports.com/airglide/airglide.htm

Great gear, fair price, etc. I ride street ALOT, and have many friends/club memebrs that work in the industry. For what you are asking, this gear is a great fit.

I personally wear full leathers on long rides... and just a perf'd leather jacket and my SIDI's on short commutes (with gloves, helmet, etc of course).

I wear a Icon Tarmac jacket...all mesh w/ CE armor in shoulders, back and elbows. Has zip off sleeves which was nice a few days ago when it was 106. But, even riding mid day in 105* heat at a stoplight on black asphalt, it isnt bad. The jacket feels like wearing a L/S medium weight cotton shirt, or maybe a medium weight hoodie. Plus, it has some reflective piping on it and some patches like Ohlins, parts unlimited, cometic gaskets.....I stole mine form the stealership for $20 bones,(of course, it came with a new DRZ) but they usually go around the 150 range.

here's a link to Icon's site, they have tons of jackets.

http://rideicon.com/

I wore an Aerostich Darien coat and pants for 9 years, layered up for winter, and opened up for hot weather. My present set up is a Firstgear Kilimanjaro coat and HT Air pants. The coat has better venting that the Darien, but I've not spent literally weeks in the driving rain (leak-free) with the FG as I have with the Darien. The HT Air pants for hot weather are WONDERFUL for comfort compared to the NO ventilation Darien pants, but they haven't been rain tested.

I have a Joe Rocket jacket, cant remember what model it is. It is mesh with removable pads and very well built. Even when it is in the 90s it is still comfortable as long as you are moving. Also has a removable waterproof liner. I paid about $160.

Mike :thumbsup::ride:

Is this for just street riding (sm) or enduro use?

For enduro I just got an 07' shift xc jacket that is set up for our type of riding. Has pockets that you can stuff things in and the vents on the arms and shoulders. The elbows are removable (inserts) and you can un-zip the arms and take them of completely turning it into a vest. $139.99 I wear a back-pack to carry my stuff in and as far as pants get something comfortable.

For summer (80-100F) I have a very light & breezy kevlar enforced textile jacket from Brosh which I wear over body armor.

For cooler weather I have a leather jacket with inserted protection.

In all cases I use knee+shin guards, AXO Slammer boots , gloves and a full helmet (of course).

I have a JR getup as well. Phoenix 2.0 pants full-length zippers are fairly easy to put on over the work pants and boots. I chose the Rasp jacket instead of

Phoenix for the extra padding. It can get hot standing still or with a backpack on moving slow through town.

Alter Ego would be good for 3-season use, I chose to get a dedicated bad-weather getup when the time comes. I like the Spidi Ergo but I'm not paying $800, also looking at the Hein Gericke Timbuktu jacket and cargo pants for a much more reasonable price.

I run the Alpinestars Air-Flow stuff. I have the T-Stunt 2 Air-flow Jacket and the Air-Flow pants and it is like riding in shorts when you wear the pants. I usually wear some sort of cool shorts under the pants and a t-shirt under the jacket. You can really feel the wind going through the pants and jacket. I love them. That was the best thing I have bought for myself for summer riding. I also use the Alpinestar SMX-4 boots, and with the air-flow pants on you can really feel the air coming in the vents on the boots. When you have jeans or something like that on over the boots you can't feel the air in them. The other good feature about the pants is that they unzip all the way up your leg. So if you have to put them on over other clothes it is easy. I paid $129.00 for the pants and I paid $169.00 for the Jacket. Here is a picture of my get up.

RidinghomefromHOGrally.jpg

The Joe Rocket alter Ego Jacket is the way to go. I can ride in temps down to 10*-15*. I rode 20+days last January. That is on a sport bike though. In order to ride the DRZ, I would have to convert the inner liner to electric or get a windscreen. As far as pants, I have a few different pairs that I wear. Just find something that is windproof and you will be good to go.

I use the Tourmaster Flex Jacket. Very similar to the Joe Rocket. Has full protection and has a Cold weather liner with a waterproof liner. The outer shell can be unzipped to make it a full mesh coat with armor intact, peel the liner and you have a jacket you can wear in 100f days and still be protected.

I went with that for the total black look so it can go with watever bike I'm on :thumbsup:

I have a Rev'it jacket it has three different layers for different weather conditions. I ride year round rain or shine and it was the best investment. I paid close to $400 at a BMW dealers. You could find it a lot cheaper but there are so many sizes you need to try it on. I could have got the size an then ordered cheaper from the web but with that kind of money I wanted a place to go back to if there was trouble. Pants I use first gear, got them from the same place. Pants zip all the way up so they go on easy over boots. :thumbsup::applause: