Sign in to follow this  

Rmoving link from chain.

I think the search already told me to just remove a link but I just wanted to double check before I do.

2004 DRZ400s. 14t front sprocket, stock rear ( I think 44t) 2,800 miles on the bike and the chain adjustment is geting close to the end. Should I just remove a link or replace chain?

Might be smart to replace the chain, don't want it to snap on you. Also I would check the sprokets for wear and tear and replace if needed. Basically just preventative maintenace.

Replace the chain and both sprockets. Once the chain stretches that much the sprockets are toast.

Are you sure, the chain is too long because I put a new front spocket on the bike(one tooth smaller) and both front and rear spockets look o.k. and the chain has 2,800 miles on it? I mean if that is what people think needs to be done I have no problems with replacement of the parts its just that in the old days I used to just remove one link before replacement of the chain and sprokets, but that was back 20 years ago and I know that things have changed.

I am thinking of doing the same thing. At 2000km, I have changed the rear sprocket to 39 tooth, so the chain is too long and almost out of adjustment. I don't see the problem in removing a link or 2, when the chain is only 2000km old.

My only question is:

Is the stock chain an endless type ?

and if so, can you just take any link(s) out or is there still a joining link somewhere ?

Cheers

:thumbsup::ride::confused: One more wanting to know what`s the big deal if the chain is fairly new & you just replace it with a o-ring master link :applause::confused::applause:

no problem to cut it, make sure u get the right master with the rings and grease and it should be fine

You do not remove links from a sealed type chain to compensate for wear. By the time the chain is that bad it is time to replace. The "remove a link" technique was OK for 1952 Indians, not modern bikes. Plus a sealed chain does not wear evenly, you will have good links and bad links mixed together. Stock chain is endless. If the sprockets are OK, use them. Not the best practice but OK if they are really OK. I ran 2 chains on my sprockets before I changed the full set.

Suzuki has a separate oem part number for the master link than the chain at Bike Bandit for the DRZ & also even the 2004 GSX1300 RZ .. If it good enough for them it`s good enough for me ... :thumbsup::ride:

Sorry, I thought that it was at the end of its adjustment from wear. You could probably get away with just taking out a link. I always replace stock chains with a good aftermarket chain as I hate adjusting them and a good chain wont stretch nearly as much.

Craig

You do not remove links from a sealed type chain to compensate for wear. .

Agreed, but you can do it when you are compensating for the extra free length generated when the sprockets are changed for smaller ones. (provided the chain is not already sufficiently worn to warrant replacement)

Cheers