Sign in to follow this  

Electric start kit info/tips for 2000-on XR250?

I saw a dual-sported XR400 with estart for sale in classifieds here in Thumpertalk (but outside California). Anyone have any experience/tips on e-start for 2000-on XR250? Baja designs doesn't seem to have one except for XR650R(?)

Thanks in advance.

It's not worth the 1500-1800 it costs to put the Joeracer Products kit on a bike nowadays. There are too many e-start option bikes out there.

It's not worth the 1500-1800 it costs to put the Joeracer Products kit on a bike nowadays. There are too many e-start option bikes out there.

There's a very clean, easy to start, dualsported 2001 XR250 over on the D-37 for sale section. www.amadistrict37ama.org. $2500.00 bucks. The guy's donating all the proceeds to offroad legal defense. Damn Kalifornians!

Question: Why do you need estart on an XR250? They seem to be one of the easiest bikes to kickstart...

Question: Why do you need estart on an XR250? They seem to be one of the easiest bikes to kickstart...

Answer: because my right foot/leg/hip isn't what it used to be, and I still want to ride. (And I want an ez maintenance, reliable, fairly lightweight,air-cooled dual sport bike! Yes, I saw the said ds XR250 for sale--I want it--and that's the reason I'm asking about the estart retro-fit)

Perhaps a better use of your money would be a factory electric start Suzuki DR250 or DR350 (Such as a 1995ish model). You should be able to find a clean one for about $1700-2000. They are reliable air cooled 4 stroke bikes that can be had for about the cost of the e-start conversion on the XR250.

Thanks, DualsportWA. Do you know if either/both of those Zooks is/are California-street-legal?

Yes, DR350S DR350SE are street legal, but it would take a California expert to know if you will have any CARB smog issues.... :thumbsup:

I guess if those particular Zooks were Calif. plated already, that should be good enough...! I'll keep my eyes out for them. Thanks again.

Joe Racer doesn't seem to have an XR250 estart kit, anyway....

Answer: because my right foot/leg/hip isn't what it used to be, and I still want to ride. (And I want an ez maintenance, reliable, fairly lightweight,air-cooled dual sport bike!
Sounds like you want a TTR 250 Yamaha. It's just not cost effective to add an e-start kit that costs almost as much as an older XR in the first place! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you want a TTR 250 Yamaha. It's just not cost effective to add an e-start kit that costs almost as much as an older XR in the first place! :thumbsup:

You could be correct, O One of The Great White North! (if it is Califonia-street-legal!)

You could be correct, O One of The Great White North! (if it is Califonia-street-legal!)
Not sure about the Kalifornia (is that a city in Wales?) thing but they're a great reliable bike, very XR-like, but with a happy button? :thumbsup:

Huntmaster:

Just about the closest to "Cymru" I see around here are the Camrys on the road. We in Southern California also have an Ontario---of the Inland Empire and the airport!

We also probably have more loud, dirty, 2-smoke leaf-blowers/hedgecutters/etc. per capita than anywhere else on earth---but the successfully-influential here are obsessed with choking off bike emissions---which effectively reduces off-road use. Ya think think that the reduced emissions/reduced use consequence is intentional?

Thanks for the tip, tho; I'll keep looking for my air-cooled, estart Holy Grail.