Sign in to follow this  

2001 XR250 R Exhaust sound test

Can any one tell me what decible reading an XR 250R would read. I have removed the restrictor plug, But left the end cap an spark arrester on. It doesn't seem any louder than my new KTM 400 EXC, stock. I just woud like to know if it will pass a sound test to be able to ride on Michigan CCC trails. I hate to have to buy a new muffler, I rejetted and it runs so wonderful. Its actualy more fun to ride than my new KTM.

I'd like to know this myself... cause how i have it (02, same deal) it seems way to loud... even by my motorhead standards.

Not sure what you mean by restrictor plug. I have removed the little 1/2 pipe and mini muffler that I had to cut out of the center of the end cap.

I made a custom insert that fit into the hole that I made.

My bike has been tested by the BLM, Forest Service and CA OHV park rangers.

The range of readings 89 - 96dB, The readings vary to conditions of test area. Open dirt area = low reading, concrete pad = high reading.

If you cut out the same part that I did, you will be in the range of 96 - 98dB.

I have seen a lot of bikes with the small pipe cut out, and they are allowed to race.

Your bike will be below 96 with the restrictor out, but in MI you need to be 94db which is iffy. Quiet products (www.quietiscool.com) makes a replacement insert for less than $45 that flows better. Several people here have bought them and like it.

Hey guys, I'm sorry to kind of, hijack the thread. But I have an 01 XR250R also. The other day i just took the whole endcap off. And road it down the street. It was louder then a lot of things ive heard. Does anybody have an idea of how many decibels that is?

It's been a couple of years since I did my sound measurements on my bike. I think without an endcap, at 1/2 throttle = 108+dB. :thumbsup: I ran it long enough to get a reading then stopped.

Yeah the cops were at my house. I started it up. Went down the street once. Then put the bike back. And within 20 minutes. They were at my door.