Sign in to follow this  

05 525exc chews the petrol

Hi I have a 05 525exc which ive owned for 4 rides and i,m only getting about 40 to 50 km ( 30 miles ) per tank on a enduro type ride last weekend i rode on tight Forrest trails with the odd up hill and open farm sections and run out including reserve after 35 km ( 24 miles ) i rode with a 3 mates 1 with a husqvarna tc 450 mx bike 1 with 02 520exc and the other a 04 525exc all made it a round the 60 km loop with out refueling. i beg 6 litres of fuel to get me the remaining 25 km back to the car

WHY ??

this isn't the first ride were Ive used twice as much petrol as every one else

WHY ??

cheers paul.

Could it be leaking it? Maybe check to make sure your float level isnt too high. Am thinking maybe a little is coming out the overflow on every bump. Could add up to be a lot over a whole ride.

Good advice.

525's are capable of excellent fuel economy. I routinely lower the float level 1 - 2 mm from stock, then put a loop in the overflow tube so that the top of the tube is just above float level but below the bottom edge of the intake manifold.

Limiting the AP squirt duration to one second also helps.

I've heard of the 525's getting 50 MPG in the desert, vs the 450's getting the high 30's on the same ride. BTW, the 525 was entirely stock, while the 450

EXC was JD jetted. This may not be normal, as my own 450 EXC didn't lose any fuel economy with the JD kit and can get 50 MPG on an easy ride.

Take the carb off and look in from the engine side. The slide has a black plate on its front side that has to have a 6mm hole in it near the bottom (does not go all the way thru), IF that hole is not visable that plate is installed upside down, thus the hole is at the top and not visable. When the plate is upside down the idle will be erattic and the 400 I had a few years ago would go 20 miles on a tank.

sounds like somethings not right, have the same bike and was putting

in 50 mile + rides thru some high speed fireroads and slow single track from day one. now have a clark tank and haven't hit reserve yet.