Sign in to follow this  

First time on track, kinda scared..

i am gonna go to a track soon for the first time. But im kinda scared. is this normal? i dont know why though. i think it is that i dont want to make the other(faster) guys mad by going too slow, or what. any tips or ways to prevent this.

thanks in advance

don't be scared they dont care as long as you hold your line, and dont do anything you dont feel comfortable doing, and one more thing HOLD YOUR LINE :thumbsup:

Hopefully the track you go to is running timed sessions. This keeps it safer and allows you to go out with people more your speed.

At most of the tracks here when it gets crowded they do beginner and junior(I do junior), and then intermediate/pro. It can get a bit intimidating if you're a first timer and having a pro coming up to you 4x your speed. Just take it easy and stay to the sides of the track.

I am tryin to get to a track for the first time also but the one I want to go to is a practice only track no racing and there big thing is people learning to ride so it shouldn't be too bad its called sandbox

just hold your line and dont worry about the faster guys coming from behind they know how to pass you

But im kinda scared. is this normal?

It's not only normal but healthy for you. Being scared will make you have a healthy respect for the track and the other riders out there w/ you. My best advice is go out and ride your own race but have fun. Do not place any high expectations on yourself................just try to finish the race in 1 piece.

Between moto's, walk around and observe. Ask other racers questions. Most will be happy to enlighten you. Remember, they were once a beginner too.

:thumbsup:

Speaking from VERY recent experience... that uneasiness is natural. I'd suggest a practice first so you can get to know the track without the formal atmosphere of a race day.

Like mjrider said... don't do anything you are not completely comfortable with and have worked your way up to and practiced thoroughly. If you're really new... and have no idea how to approach jumps, whoops, etc.. I'd really suggest taking it easy. Very easy. Maybe think about a local MX school.

If you've not jumped doubles at the track before I would -not- recommend doing that unless you've been clearing doubles elsewhere and are good at it. You will see plenty of riders just rolling the jumps. Don't feel like you have to make those jumps. That's a formula for an injury if you're not ready. Just roll em and have fun.

The one piece of advice fast riders have told me when I asked about getting on the track just like you've asked was...

hold your line... don't go side to side. Faster riders coming up from behind are going to expect you to stay where you are ... left side... right side... middle... wherever you are at... For example...If you're rolling a jump (not jumping it.. just coasting), you may not be visible to them for a moment.. if you go to the "other" side, they could possibly land on you because they expected you to be elsewhere... or they could get hurt trying to stop to avoid you. Either way...stay on your line.

If you're thinking about getting in a race, get there early, and watch what's going on. Get to know the start procedure.. In fact.. I think Gary Semics had a DVD on this very subject. I'm not looking for a commision :thumbsup: but you will probably find that sort of DVD very informative. Spend a day at the track watching the motos if you've never done that. You'll learn plus is I'll be fun.

I'm new to the track like you, so I'm no expert, but I thought it would be helpful to have an opinion from someone who was recently thinking the same thing you were thinking.

Have fun.. meet some people.. ask questions... you'll find that almost everyone will be happy to help you if they're not pressed for time themselves.

Everyone here has gave great advice. Just do what was said here and you'll be fine. Don't ride over you head and you'll have a blast. Everyone was a newbie on the track at one point in time. Alot of the faster guys around my area are more than willing to give advice. Try talking to them. Just watch who is pretty quick and they'll more than likely be more than willing to talk.

I'd like to emphasize holding your line! You will find it very difficult to hold your line when you have a 450 coming up behind you but DO NOT pull off out of his way. The faster riders will get around you and you have as much right to be there as they do.

I was with my son's friend who was new to the sport and he knew he was supposed to hold his line but everytime he heard someone blasting behind him he would pull over. Low and behold he had two guys trying to pass him.... one on the right, one on the left.... he pulled over and ran right into the guy passing on his right :thumbsup: ... he suffered some dirt rash, a bent brake lever, and a sprained ankle.... Had he held his line he would have been fine.

So, no matter how difficult it may seem HOLD YOUR LINE and you'll be fine!!!

I only practice on the vet beginner track in my area and I enjoy it. Just remember to hold your line and have fun. Most of the riders will be respectful and helpful if you hold your line. Enjoy and have fun, I have enjoyed hours of riding with an old overweight Honda on the track even though I normally ride trails in the desert. Everyone has stated good info.