Sign in to follow this  

RHC 2005 CRF450R ride report

After missing half of last session due to a blown out ACL I decided it was time to freshen up my old horse (2005 CRF450R)

I sent the head off to RHC and had the head ported, new valve seats installed, new valves (titanium with coating), new Ferra valve springs with retainers, 187 cam and JE13.5: 1 piston. After getting the head back and with the help of local AZ engine builder Kelstar I was ready to test her out.

I wanted to take it to a few different tracks to see how she responded.

The first track was ET Motopark. At ET I was running 14:48 gearing.

On the vet track, which is a lot faster then their national track I was screaming down the straights. In one corner with a small mound, my stocker would loft the front end. With the mods the mound became a nice little jump.

The engine came on strong down low and pulled very strongly from mid to top.

On the National track that has shorter straights and is a lot more jumpy I needed to re-gear. The bike could have pulled hard enough to clear the jumps with the 14:48 but I would have had to be very aggressive.

Yesterday with the bike re-geared to 13:48 I headed to Canyon Off Road Park.

Canyon is a faster track with nice up hills, plenty of high speed jumps and bowl turns.

This bike shined with this gearing. I wheelie up the up hills and cleared all the jumps with ease. 4th gear doubles, no problem, clearing all the tables, no problem at all. The only jump that I didn’t jump was the infield triple. In between my mini 5 lap moto’s I lent my bike to a Pro (name withheld because he rides for the green guys) to take it for a spin. He easily cleared the triple so I know it wasn’t the bike, it was me. This bike has enough beans to easily make the length, and there is sufficient run up prior to the jump for this bike but sometimes us vet guys like to play it safe.

Where I liked this bike the most is on my stocker I would have to shift from 4th to 2nd on some turns because 3rd didn’t have the beans to pull me (hard). When doing this it always felt like I was about to loose traction. Now with the modified engine I shift from 4th to 3rd, make sure I’m positioned correct on my bike and roll on the juice and enjoy the blast down the straight.

Fun guys this bike is pure fun. I hope my wife never makes me choose between her and the bike! She might be shocked by my choice!

See you at the track,

#11 Fred

i have had them make 58 hp with a mixture of pump fuel and non oxy race gas i just had the same engine make over 57 hp with the stock carb and a 04 air box

i have had them make 58 hp with a mixture of pump fuel and non oxy race gas i just had the same engine make over 57 hp with the stock carb and a 04 air box

isn't it amazing the difference the 05 air boot makes ! :applause:

but i gotta say that old MXFRED'S bike really came together well ,

he keeps the bike very well maintained and everything tight and correct ,

i can't wait to see the roost it throws now , ---and how much faster it goes up the up hills at canyon :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron for another great head !! :applause:

Fred lets do canyon this Saturday morning :ride::applause:

how big of a guy are you? That combo on pump gas could be making 58-60 horse, real horsepower. Not those theoretical ones that show up on brouchures. On U4 it can be as much as 62 or 63...

I usually weigh in at around 165~170 but packed on some weight when I sat on my butt recovering from the ACL surgery. I'm now 25~30 pounds too freakin fat but it's slowly coming off.

isn't it amazing the difference the 05 air boot makes ! :applause:

but i gotta say that old MXFRED'S bike really came together well ,

he keeps the bike very well maintained and everything tight and correct ,

i can't wait to see the roost it throws now , ---and how much faster it goes up the up hills at canyon :thumbsup:

Thanks Ron for another great head !! :applause:

Fred lets do canyon this Saturday morning :applause::applause:

So it is the '05 air boot that give's the bike the extra breathing room, thus another pony? I was trying to remember for sure, I'd like to maybe do that as my next mod.

Fred, what did the Pro say about your bike? Was it too much for him :ride:

Fred, you can do that triple man. I was like you, hesitating to do it every trip to the track. Saturday I did it for the first time at it was easier than I thought. You can even blow the turn, square up in 3rd and just run at it and make it easily.

You bike sounds killer. I need to get that airboot.

ben

So it is the '05 air boot that give's the bike the extra breathing room, thus another pony? I was trying to remember for sure, I'd like to maybe do that as my next mod.

Fred, what did the Pro say about your bike? Was it too much for him :applause:

it is the boot, ---honda kinda found a shape that lets the air sorta get smooth and still and straighten around and not become all stand offish and dirty and whippy lippy and stupid when coming from the filter.

they have kept the dam thing from 05--to 06 and now its still on the 07 :thumbsup:

so yes that boot would be a good up grade for the previous years bikes,

i have not done that mod on the previous years bikes -----i do not believe it would be any big shakes unless you had an 02 witch kinda had that wimpy strange box that leaked and had the extra black wing thing sticking out on the left hand side --------( so on an 02 you would get all the pieces to make a new 03-04 or 05 box ) :applause:

Fred, what did the Pro say about your bike? Was it too much for him :thumbsup:

The pro guy has raced SX and quailified for the night show many times.

So the power was no problem for him

He loved it! He would rather be on a Honda then what he is on know.

He hates the 4 speed tranny weird gear spacing and power. But he is locked into his Kawi deal. the only thing he didn't care for was my suspension which is understandable because it's set up for me and my speed and not a Pro.

Fred, you can do that triple man. I was like you, hesitating to do it every trip to the track. Saturday I did it for the first time at it was easier than I thought. You can even blow the turn, square up in 3rd and just run at it and make it easily.

You bike sounds killer. I need to get that airboot.

ben

we'll have to ball up and do it! Let me know when you want to try out my ride. she is sweeter then a virgin on her 18th birthday! :thumbsup:

I haven't made firm plans yet, but I'm thinking COP on Saturday morning, or Friday night. We'll have to stay in touch and hook up soon.

ben

I met up with MX Fred at COP on Saturday. Track was supposed to be closed because of broken equipment, but they let some of us who stuck around long enough ride (without track prep). So, track was dry as a bone, and dusty, but all jump faces were in good shape so no biggie.

If I had to say one thing about MX Fred's bike, it would be "Power". That thing simply rips. I didn't think it was very snappy off idle, but get into the mid to top and that thing hauls major butt. I was doing some big jumps on the track so much cleanly on his bike. Pull 4th gear out of a tight turn and into a huge table? No problem. He definately can never say that power is his problem.

Overall, it might be a bit too much power for some rides, but I found it to be managable if you took care with your right wrist. As with any bike that isn't adjusted for me, I found it hard to really go fast and go big on his bike. Little things like lever positions, and ergo's were way different than my bike. COP doesn't have too many straights, so getting on it long and hard was tough too.

I give this bike an A+ in the motor department. But honestly, I think I could ride my freshened 2004 faster.

Thanks Fred for the ride. Hope to see you again soon.

ben

Ben,

Glad to hear you liked the bike. I went to Speedworld yesterday and it was very muddy due to the heavy down pour the night before.

After it dried out a bit (by 9 a.m.) it was great.

PM me when you want to get together to ride again.

Fred

We hit the desert yesterday. COP wasn't under water, but looked like it was very soupy. I hate going to the track around here after a good rain. You just never know what it is going to be like. I wouldn't have even thought to go to SW after the rain we got the night before. Normally it would be MudWorld after that kind of rain.

ben

I just got a ride report on a 450 i did for my local honda shop and he said it was definatley eazyer to ride than most of the modifyed bikes he has ridden the word again was electric like power. if things go right Mats buddy Nick will ride it and give me atop pros opinion on how a RHC bike works.

I considered the power to be linear, just lots of it on tap. Conditions weren't the greatest to be testing a bike. When our tracks are bone dry, they are very slick.

There is one table in the back of the track that I do in 3rd on my bike, and I still come up just a tad short most of the time. On the RHC modded bike, I made it very clean without much effort. I think it might have been the first time I'd ever jumped that particular jump so clean before. And if I recall correctly, I was in 4th getting all of the drive I needed from the turn. Amazing!!! :thumbsup:

ben

thats funny usally the yamahas blow up trying to keep up with my hondas .you must have hit your head pretty hard sombody out there said you hit so hard there was like tatoos splatered all over the place. LOL

thats funny usally the yamahas blow up trying to keep up with my hondas .you must have hit your head pretty hard sombody out there said you hit so hard there was like tatoos splatered all over the place. LOL

Actually I meant I couldn't wait to ride it, but I can see where you got that idea. I'm very curious to ride one of your bikes to see how it puts the power out. It sounds right up my alley, a strong but tractable bottom to a fat mid to a never ending top end with plenty of overrev. But either way, I doubt I would have a problem keeping up with Fred, whether it be on my Yamaha or an RHC built Honda.