Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport riders in Vegas

Cooler weather is here, almost. How many Vegas area dual sport riders are interested in meeting up for a Sunday ride? This coming weekend might not be best for many. I might ride anyway. But the weekends in Sept. Its good for fall riding before they change the time and its dark all of a sudden before 6 pm.

I am looking to go south of Searchlight over towards Nipton. On south of there are some smaller towns or what was at one time. On down to Baker. Then come back to Sandy Valley on the powerline road. Was pretty decent last time on that powerline road. It was freshly graded and cleaned by the power co.

Then back out of Sandy Valley to Goodsprings, and out to Blue Diamond road below moutain pass. Would be a good 200 mile day or so. With fuel stops, eats along the way.

I have a KLR650. Be interested to see what other dual sporters are riding.

That might be fun if I can swing it. Ive mentioned it here before, but you might want to check into the D/S club that is trying to form here in town.

http://www.lvnvdualsports.com/

Try posting there as well, there are a few guys in town here that might not stop in here.

I am trying to get my bike back together, which better be done in the next couple of days, and if I can get a sitter, I am in.

John in Vegas

I been to three meetings so far for the dual sport club. Never rode with any of the guys. They seem to always ride on the north end of town. And start at 5 am and get done by 10 or so. Not seeing any of them ride is hard to judge. But I think most are not really into the dirt and desert yet. I just want to get out and ride and see some of the terrain and areas. Not wait months on end for an organized ride.

Most of the rides ive gone on have been towrds the south, and yes, they have been fairly short rides, due mostly to the heat. anyway, as long as I get my bike together I will go. There have been a few of those guys wanting longer runs, and me, I dont care that much about how hot it is out there.

Count me in if you go. Can't make a lot of dates due to race commitments but I love to dual sport. Do you guys ever go on the organized rides? LA to B to V?

Jeff Landers

702-558-1754

syjl@yahoo.com

Me and a couple of othe guys are planning to do the la-b-lv, but only from barstow (i think, its not set in stone yet). toomanykaws nedds to set this thing up and tell us where and when. btw, how much pavement are we running? is it possible to do this on an unregistered bike?

Talked to my uncle who is 74, knows the area out here. He said down to Nipton, then south through Kelso? and Cima on out to the 15 down to Barstow, then over like I did before. Lot of neat stuff to see he said down south of Nipton.

I'll stick a date up in the next week or so and see who can make that. It could end up being a 200-250 mile day. Which really isn't a lot when its spread out.

Its some pavement. I try to do as little of pavement as necessary though. Rather do 30-45 in the desert than faster on paved roads.

Not riding this weekend, still trying to get caught up on things for my business. And I just lost my Siberian Husky today which is harder than I ever thought it would be.

well let me know, but comming up soon,(dont know exactly when), the guys doing the trans american trail should be out here, they are leaving Tn on the 5th, and I am supposed to meet them when they get around here for a day or 2 of riding.

sorry about you dog.

Johnnyjeep, Usually there is very little pavement on the run. No, you cannot use an unregistered bike and it must pass the sound check. I have a fair amount of dual sport roll charts if we just wanted to get together and ride. We can make copies or just choose one guy to navigate. He makes a mistake and we roost him as a penalty.

I am sweeping for Scott Harden's/BITD Nevada Rally Experience in Caliente the 15-17 should you have extra time and money. A little pricey but a lot of fun. Check out www.harden-offroad.com for info.

I may go pre-run this whole course out Sept 10th. If one or two people wanted to go that would be good. Make a good day of riding out of it. Or if a bunch of people wanted to go thats fine.

I am sure I will see some other routes and places of interest that may necessitate another ride through that same general area!!!

Syjl, that looks fun, but there are 2 problems. 1st one really isnt a problem at all but they want 650 &up, Ive got a 450, second, its $$ is a little steep for this short of notice

toomanykaws, I might be up for that. I know the john with the klr has been complaining about the runs being too short would probably want to do it.

I am still planning on riding this Sunday, Meeting at the gas station at Las Vegas blvd and St Rose parkway at 7-7:30 am range. Might not do the full route but 2/3 of it anyway. Depends if we get sidetracked or not. Lots of stuff to see and much of it I have not been in that area before. So figure a 200 mile day. Fuel stops possible at 20 miles, 40 miles. Then again at 100-120 miles into the trip. I also stop to eat and snack. Its not a damn race and I don't try and Dakar the damn trips out here in the desert with no real breaks or stops at all. Anyone that wants to ride like that go ahead, don't miss your checkpoints and maintain your speed for consistency.

I assume you are riding from the gas station and not meeting with trucks and unloading somewhere, correct? I don't want to show up on my bike and then have to ride to Stateline and wait for everyone to unload. I just want to be on the same page as everyone else. It sounds like fun to me.

Uh... yes we usually meet near the entrance to the store, more towards the car wash entrance at that gas station. I have never met anyone at stateline to start a ride.

Hoping my bike is running. Plan to test it tomorrow. Still has an electrical issue.

Least we got some riding in Sunday. I did 245 miles by the time I got home. Nobody broke down with their bikes.

what about the guy who faceplanted 100yds from the end?

Anyway, had fun, only me hurts, bike is fine, do it again!!