Sign in to follow this  

new shock for my S model - install question

Looks like the rear subframe (and airbox) and the exhaust pipe all need to be pulled? I was hoping it would be easier / quicker... :thumbsup:

I have a 2001 S and I had to take the sub-frame (including the airbox) off to adjust the rear preload. I actually had to unbolt the top of the shock from the frame (most likely due to the crappy wrench I bought). Not too difficult, just a bunch of wiring connections to manage.

Forgot one thing ... I did not remove the exhaust, just the chassis mount bolts. I just made sure not to knock it around too much.

What shock are did you get and for what kind of riding? I've been looking for something better for moderately difficult off-road riding.

Got a used "E" model shock with the rebound adjustment. I plan to use the "S" model spring when I put it all back together.

Got the "E" model forks installed yesterday. Seem to work fine, these too have a rebound adjustment and they are cartridge forks vs. the conventional type.

Both are cheap upgrades, parts usually on Ebay most of the time.

To get my shock out all I did was put bike up on a stand, remove rear wheel.

Remove the rear half of the exhaust and disconnect the shock and tie rods, this gave enough clearance to take the shock out through the right side.

It needs a little patience but it worked fine.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Out the side works. Or remove the swing arm works. Both easier than taking the sub frame off. Plus you get to lube the bearings if you take the swing arm off.

Just did mine on my '06 SM, not fun!

Took off the back of the pipe, loosened the top bolt of the subframe and got it out the side with some work.

Ohlins fit right in without a hitch.

Doing carb change too so I'll be sure to preload before putting that stuff back in!