Removing case savers?

Made several mods to my '04 DRZS recently including 4 gal IMS tank (bitch of an install), IMS foot pegs, skid plate, Happy Trail side rack/1520 pelican case panniers and a set of case savers. Messed up by not taping case savers down while drying and they both slipped down quite a bit. Anyone have any luck removing case savers? They seem to be glued on really well (used Silicone adhesive). Thought about trying to slip a stiff wire between side case and case saver and try to work some kind of solvent into void left by wire. Any ideas how to get case savers off? Any suggestions on what type of solvent I should use? Do you think acetone (fingernail polish remover) would damage cases. Would like to reuse them but fear I wont be able to get them off much less get them off with out messing them up.

Is there potential for damage to seals and such when applying heat to the cases? Might give this a try. Guess you just need to use a little common since on how much heat you apply huh. Should have used tape as stated by instructions. Didnt think it was necessary. Guess thats what I get for thinking.

Is there potential for damage to seals and such when applying heat to the cases? Might give this a try. Guess you just need to use a little common since on how much heat you apply huh. Should have used tape as stated by instructions. Didnt think it was necessary. Guess thats what I get for thinking.

I would be extra careful about using flame on the covers. I don't know the particular alloy they are made from but magnesium does burn and once it starts it is hard to stop. I don't know if a heat gun will get hot enough to damage the seals could they be removed?

You could always mock up a test by gluing a scrap of metal to another scrap of metal and judge how much heat is required that way.

If you plan on using a heat source for the removal, i would highly suggest removing the covers from the bike. You might end up toasting the gasket/o-ring.

Another point, isn't silicone very heat resistant? In my opinion 'sportsriders' has the best idea, use alcohol or gasoline.

Spence

yes, silicone is good for several hundred deg F. The silicone and the gap will act as an insulator and prevent the heat you add from reaching the case so no worries as long as you heat the saver only. Dont know if it'll work though. Guitar string (D or G-small but wound) and acetone or alcohol. The mag cases are coated and acetone will remove that and you'll get to paint them, alcohol might remove the paint too-most paint strippers are alcohol-based

You might also try prying in from the edges with a flimsy, narrow spackling blade. If it makes the bend, it doesn't take much to work it back & forth and tear the silicone free.

Credit cards work pretty good bending into door locks ? Same principle might work here.

Alcohol sounds like the least risky. Guess I will try that first. If that doesn't do the trick might try a little heat. Afraid to put much heat on it though. May just have to live with it. Will report back in a few days.

Alcohol sounds like the least risky. Guess I will try that first. If that doesn't do the trick might try a little heat. Afraid to put much heat on it though. May just have to live with it. Will report back in a few days.

Alcohol definately is the way to go. Get completly loaded first and those suckers ul get off there somehow ?

Got the case saver off in good shape. I used some old silicone that I had lying around when I originally installed case saver. I think this may have made it easier to remove. I was able to pry the top of the case saver out enough to pour a little alcohol in between the case saver and the side case. I repeated the alcohol application and let is soak for a few min. each time. I was able to pry the case saver loose after 4 to 6 applications. I tried to remove the old silicone using alcohol and a plastic putty knife. This was working but the process was painful. I decided to give gasoline a try. I soaked a paper towel with gas and applied it to the silicone and it came off effortlessly. Gas worked much better than alcohol. I did this outside and obviously on a cold engine. It didn’t seem to do any damage to the finish on the side case.

good to hear you got them off. I used silicone adhesive impervious to everything so mine are on for good ?

I too used a silicone adhesive and gasoline did the trick. The adhesive I used the first time was kinda old. I think that made a difference in being able to remove them undamaged. Not sure how this would have worked on a job that was well done initially. After removing the case savers the gas took the old stuff off with no effort. This seems to indicate that gas does a pretty good job at dissolving silicone adhesive.