Sign in to follow this  

Shoei V-Moto or VFX-DT?

After breaking my face with a TLD SE helmet, I have opted to run a Shoei because they actually put some thought into the chin bar protection, unlike all hte other helmets from what I have seen. I just can't decide whether to get the V-Moto or the more expensive VFX-DT. The only difference I can see is in the venting of the two helmets. I found a place where I can get a 2006 V-Moto for $250 which I think is a smoking deal. Give me some feedback please.

I have an XL Shoei VFX-R up for auction. As far as I know, the VFX-DT replaces the VFX-R. I can't say anything about the chin protection as I have not worn it personally. I had the fox equivalent of the VFX and liked it a lot. Really comfortable and the padding can be washed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260022156071

i have a v-moto. i tried on a lot of helmets at the dealer and went with the v-moto for the comfort and protection. its pretty light also. i got this style. i like the plain jane look.

vmoto_black.jpg

Josh- did the helmet get crushed there. I have been wearing my 7 year old helmet and was considering the Troy Lee Henry model until I read about your ordeal. With my daughter due in a week I am researching this big time now. Not just looking for a pretty graphic on a helmet. How light are Shoei helmets in comparison to the other heavy hitters?

Josh- did the helmet get crushed there. I have been wearing my 7 year old helmet and was considering the Troy Lee Henry model until I read about your ordeal. With my daughter due in a week I am researching this big time now. Not just looking for a pretty graphic on a helmet. How light are Shoei helmets in comparison to the other heavy hitters?

The TLD just flexed and smashed into my face. The Shoei is one of the lightest helmets around but protects better than almost any other. The Arai's are light and a great helmet, but the Shoei boasts specific improvements to the chin bar to protect against exactly what happened to me.

i love my v-moto, wont wear anything else...

as far as the vfx-dt, i dont think it is neccisarily worth the extra money, but its up to you...they are both top notch helmets.

I bought the V-Moto for my son recently and it seems like an excellent helmet. Light, well padded and great fit. It'll be my next helmet. My only complaint is that the clear plastic vent hole surrounds and visor screws seem a bit cheap on a Shoei. No experience with the VFX.

I'm looking at both as we speak and the only difference I can find is the venting system is much better on the vfx-dt as you mention. It's got exhaust vents on the back near the bottom, little scoops on the top exhaust ports (mine have been subsequently removed by tree branches) and a vent in the liner in back. The vfx-dt also comes with a mud gaurd (rubber nose cover) and the fabrics are a little different. Structurally I could not say for sure if there is a difference but I suspect not. They are both very very light and the vfx-dt TC-5 that I wear (the other belongs to my wife) is the most comfortable helmet I've worn.

I have a V-moto. It offers incredible protection! I've smacked my head a number times, so hard, that I was stunned (no pun intended) that I wasn't knocked out cold. I truly owe my life to this helmet.

The Shoei fits me very well - better than most other helmets I've tried on. The liner is removeable, so it can be washed. I've never had any problem with the visor attachments, even though countless tree limbs have attempted to destroy them. I have, however, pretty much trashed the small vent hole sliders on the top. At least, they're open, for what good they do.

My only complaint would be that the V-moto does seem pretty hot. I would like to have better ventilation. If the VFX-DT offers better ventilation, I'd consider that one.

I doubt you can get better protection than Shoei.