No 2nd gear - 06 TC250

A buddy calls me and tells me his 06 TC250 wont go into 2nd gear. It goes 1st, nothing, 3rd, 4th, 5th. He does have a Rekluse in it, but I dont think that the problem is related to the clutch.

I remember reading a while back about someone who lost the 2nd gear on their TC250. The search is disabled here again and I was hoping to find out what was the cause of the problem before we dive into the tranny.

Thanks!

Scott

My 06 TC 250 has a somewhat precise pawl system on the right side of the motor at the end of the shifter shaft. This pawl system appears somewhat similar to that found in a bicycle cassette, and although not load bearing, but helps the shifting mechanism to reset for the next change.

If the oil has any grit in it and/or the shifter takes a hit one of the pawls can get stuck - mine only seems to affect downshifting and it's happened twice.

The first time after a left side low side, my bike had difficulty shifting down.

We disassembled the outer case, removed the linkage, cleaned out a bit of 'grit' and reassembled it. It shifted great afterward.

The second time, it started sticking a little while downshifting after two straight days of very hard riding. I changed the oil and it has shifted fine since - 20 hours or so.

I would suggest cleaning out the pawls first and see if that doesn't take care of it.

bbrrRRrrrRRRrrr

hdh

I lost my 2nd gear too. I was doing a triple and a Guy rolled the jump in the middle so i tryed to slow down in time for the Double. I slowed down and cased the double and shattered 2nd, Bent the Shift Fork, and Had to get new Cases. So i guess its starting to become more of a problem for people. I had mine fixed, but took a month.

It's easy to check the shift selector gear, just remove the clutch and inspect the gear. It looks kinda like a wheel. If you still can't shift above second, the problem is in the tranny and the cases will need to be split.

This is the shift selector as seen once the clutch has been removed:

HuskykidsLucky012.jpg

HuskykidsLucky017.jpg

HuskykidsLucky018.jpg

I had a problem with my shift drum and shift fork bushings when my bike was new. Fast By Ferracci rebuilt the tranny for me and it's been perfect ever since. Hopefully yours will resolve itself with out the need to pull the motor.

Pulled the side cover to take a look inside. I had a brute of a time getting the shift shaft out. When I did, I took a look inside the hole and much to my surprise, could see a gear just sitting there. Obviously, 2nd gear broke.