Sign in to follow this  

Never mind the quality... feel the width

The issue of which tyre brand is best is probably one that will never be agreed on, but one thing that has NOT been extensively discussed on TT is tyre width.

An old thread suggested that some of the lesser powered 2smokes might benefit from a narrower tyre (and that makes sense). With the big-power 4T bikes nowdays however surely the wider the better. any of the CRFs WRFs and KTMs that are 400cc or bigger could easily spin a 120 width tyre if needed. Surely then the benefits of greater traction and braking would have every rider using 120/90/18 yet the most common 4T tyre seems to be 110/100/18.

The width difference is only 10mm but it is very apparent to the naked eye and the accerleration and braking characteristics would probably be more than 10 percent (but hey even 10 % is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick).

So why don't dirtbike owners use the widest tyres possible as do car owners (and road bike owners)? Cost is not a factor (as it is with cars and road bikes) since a 120/90 costs not much more than a 110/100.

Meatbomb.......

they dont run them because alot of them cant. Alot of the newer bikes have narrow swingarms and when running a 120 or bigger the chain eats the side of the knobs

So why don't dirtbike owners use the widest tyres possible as do car owners (and road bike owners)?

real road bike owners (i.e. racers) use the right width tire. narrower tires corner better. there is no question about that. so u use the narrowest tire that will give you the traction you require.

i was running wide tires (for dezert stuff) but i think i like the feel of the 110 width better on my 250sx (2-stroke), and i even put one on my fe550. still seems to get plenty of traction, but it's more nimble than with the chubby tire. not a huge difference tho.

I may eventually fit an 18 inch rear on my 450R...and if I do, it'll be plowin' the north 40 with a Teraflex! My God, what a piece of meat...neighbor had one on his XR650L. He loved it, but didn't have the foresight to ride his streetbike on the weekend asphalt adventures, so the Teraflex is no more...