Sign in to follow this  

shifting - tranny

i have been up shifting by gently lifting the shifter, then off and on with the throttle to shift. yesterday, the bike started to shift as soon as any upward pressure was applied to the shifter.

doesn't seem right or feel right. an easy adjustment or .....

thanks for any thoughts.

bb. :thumbsup:

No adjustment - just technique. Are you practicing up-shifting with no clutch or want?

yup. sorry, didn't say that did i. no clutch shifting is right.

i've been shifting without using the clutch for a while now and yesterday the bike started to shift as soon as i put any upward pressure on the shifter at all. wouldn't do that before. i would go off and on the throttle before it would shift.

i thought that maybe i need to adjust something.

bb

How it shifts depends on the revs and load.

At some points it will shift without rolling the throttle off.

Also depends on how many miles you have done, gearboxes ease a little with mileage.

Neil. :thumbsup::applause::applause:

Depending on how hard you've been lifting on the lever, you may have some burned or bent shift forks. Also the "dogs" on the gears may be either worn, or maybe just broken in. Enough clutchless shifting with improper technique will lead to the transmission popping out of gear and false neutrals.

Shifting clutchless with the proper technique will not harm or prematurely wear the transmission. On my streetbike (an old beater Kawi ZR-7 with 23k mi) it seems like the transmission prefers clutchless shifts, at least 2nd through 5th gears.