Avon Distanzia on a DR350

A mechanic friend had recommended Avon Gripsters to me. When I started investigating I read some really nice things about the Distanzia model so checked Avon's site for sizing.

The DR350 apparently uses a front 3.00x21 and rear 110/90-18. Avon doesn't make the exact size for the rear tire!! Local parts dealer tells me they can get 120/80-18s.

1) Is anyone here running these tires and willing to give feedback in general?

2) Can anyone comment on using the 120/80-18 instead of the recommended 110/90-18?

Thanks!

Are you west of the mountains or in the interior? If you're in the rainy area then your trails are much like I have here. For that sort of stuff I think you're better off with knobbies. But if you're doing a lot of road or you're in the dryer area and it's mostly hardpacked pavement like dirt then I think you'd prefer the Gripsters for their slightly more open tread and smaller tread blocks. But if you're doing a lot of road with only a little dirt then the Distanzias will likely work well. But if you're all road with just the odd bit of dirt then consider full on street rubber.

My own DR350 corners like a sportbike and even feels good running at tracks with full on motards with an Avon Roadrunner front and Super Venom rear. And prior to that I was equally as happy with a Trailwing front and a 120 wide Pirelli Scorpion MT90AT which would also give you some light duty hardpack off road capability.

• 2 weeks later...
...if you're doing a lot of road with only a little dirt then the Distanzias will likely work well...

Thanks BC. I live in western WA and will mostly be commuting -- near to year round once I finish rounding up my gear. I camp/hunt/fish a lot in the central Cascades and eastern WA though and aim to get off the pavement as often as possible. Because of the commute I'm kinda leaning toward the Distanzias or the Gripsters though.

I am planning on putting Gripsters on my 91 DR350S soon. Here are the sizes that I am looking at and from what I have read, should fit:

90/90-21 front

120/80-18 rear

I do enjoy dirt riding and realize these aren't as dirt worthy as some "real" knobbies but I realistically spend a vast majority on the road for commuting and general transportation. Supposedly the Gripsters are very durable.

I think I've decided to go with the Gripsters as well, pd1. I'll update as soon as they're installed (a week or so?). Let me know how yours work out, eh?

Roger that. It will probably be a couple of weeks here.

• 1 month later...

Well, I have Gripsters on the bike now according to plan. Was quite a b1tch to get them on and tubed, but this was my first attempt at mounting moto tires. The rear tire in particular was VERY difficult to get the bead on the rim and once I finally did and put air to it, I realized that I had pinched the tube. The front tire went better (tube-wise) but I couldn't get the bead seated on the rim right. My local mechanic had to put 80 psi in the tire to get it to seat. I don't know what I would do if I got a flat in the middle of no where. Start walking, I guess...

Anywho, I do like the tire so far. Most of my riding has been on asphalt so I can't say too much about the offroad capabilities though it seems like it would do fine on anything but mud. They do handle well on twisty asphalt and if they last as long as I have read, I will be happy.:cheers: