Sign in to follow this  

husaberg vs. suzuki

I've been researching supermotos for awhile, but now I need some info from actual people with experience and stuff. So yes, in the future I plan to buy one, and right now I'm thinking it's gonna be either a Husaberg FS650e or a Suzuki DR-Z400SM. I've looked at both of these, and the Husie seems to be the king of all supermotos: 630cc, 250 pounds, 6 gears, etc. However one thing I do not know about these is how reliable they are. I know they used to have some problems, but I hear they have been fixed. Now the Suzuki seems quite good too: rock solid, fairly light, great aftermarket parts supply, good potential, and so on. Mostly what I'm gonna be using my bike for will be tearing around the city, driving on the highway on occasion, etc. plus I just want something ridiculously cool, so what do you think? You're probably gonna say I should get the DR-Z, but I still wanna know how reliable the Husaberg is. Thanks!

The Husaberg is going to cost a lot more... but if you can afford it.. I'd get the Husaberg for the cool factor and it would stand out. I've heard the Husabergs have came a long way recently and are quality machines.

I went Kawasaki to KTM recently and I think the KTM is much better.. of course I paid for it too.

I don't think you can compare these 2 bikes fairly, they are completely different.

I own a Berg 450 and it out performed the my drz in every area (so far) I don't think I'll get as high of mileage before it needs some motor work but I'm ok with that.

The 650 Berg will kill the drz in out right performance. It comes stock with over 60 HP, what does the stock drz have, 32? The drz will come street legal as well if that is an issue for you.

The Berg should be compared to the Husky or the KTM supermoto models.

my .02c

They really are drastically different bikes. My DRZ used to be setup as a supermoto, but once I started doing more track days than commuting, I realized I needed a new bike. So, I bought my '04 Husaberg FS450e for the track and put the DRZ back to dualsport form.

The Husaberg is basically a competition machine with a headlight. It's fast, loud, vibrates like hell, has a 2x4 for a seat, and requires frequent maintenance (oil changes, valve checks, etc.). The DRZ is comfortable, smooth, cushy, rock-solid reliable, and the maintenance schedule is far less demanding.

As for reliability, I haven't had a single problem with my 'Berg and it's got about 1600 track miles on it. My buddy has the '04 650e and he's got 5000 track/commuting miles (about 200 hours) on it. He had some crunchiness in his rocker arm roller bearings at about 4500 miles but, other than that, it's been trouble free for him. Any Husaberg from 2004 on is going to be pretty reliable.

The coolness and uniqueness factor of the Husaberg is very high, of course. But, personally, I wouldn't use one for a daily driver mostly because of the comfort factor and maintenance schedule. From the way you describe your usage, I'd probably recommend the Suzuki. However, if you're not afraid of maintenance, and have buns of steel, the 'Berg could work well for you.