Sign in to follow this  

Shock mount bushing - need parts source

A friend is building a beginner flat track bike for his son using an old XR250 chassis. Old, as in "twin shock" kind of old.

Here's the problem. A pair of shocks came with the chassis and one of them is missing the bushing from the upper mount. It's one of those with the rubber surrounding the inner sleeve where the bolt passes through.

No one knows what brand or what the shocks came off. They appear to use standard sizing, not metric, for the parts.

Can anyone steer me to a parts supplier where we might be able to match up the proper bushing?

Thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

I'll pass that along to him.

However, since it's one of those where there is an outer sleeve, rubber vulcanized to it and an inner sleeve, which is also vulcanized, I don't see him under taking the making of a replica.

I know something could be cobbed up but then it would land in my lap, and as much as I like to help people, I'm a little short on time right now.

I was hoping to steer him to a supplier - thereby being of some use but not taking ownership of the project. :thumbsup:

:applause:

Have plastic ones made from Delrin - get the rubber out of there, it will only cause suspension tuning confusion.

Or call Works Performance or womeone well-versed in twinshock tech and get a set of replacements from them - the stockers are proabably waaaay to mushy for a bumpy flattrack....

I don't think that's much of a concern.

We're talking about a homemade flat track bike using a CR250M frame (anyone remember those? They told me it was from an XR250 but the numbers say otherwise) and a 1982 XR200 engine.

The forks and shock are at least 20 years old and of unknown origin.

Not exactly precision equipment.

Now you know why I'm not interested in being the factory wrench for the team. :thumbsup:

I have never known the vulanised bushing to be available as a spare part. As someone suggested I would have a delrin or polyurethane bushing made with a stainless insert. Easily turned, just a little expensive as a "One Off"

Thanks Terry - that's the kind of info I needed.

If someone in the business has never seen them for sale individually I feel confident telling them to go take a flying leap... er, I mean, look at other options. :thumbsup: