Sign in to follow this  

Front end sliding out on flat hardpack turns

I'm looking for some advice on suspension settings. My son is racing on an '03 cr85. He's had a total of 2 races (4 motos) and each time he's running in the top 5 but then ends up sliding out on 1 of 3 flat hard packed turns on the track. Is there anything that I should be looking at adjusting on the suspension to assist with these types of turns? Should I be look to stiffen or soften his suspension? From what I can tell, as he goes into the turn, the suspension will compress (you might even call it tucking) and then on the rebound it is unloading and this may be what is causing (or at least contributing to) the slide out. This leads me to think I should be going stiffer on the compression, but since we wont have a chance to ride before his next race this Sunday, I'm hoping someone can either confirm my theory or lead me in a better direction.

Here's all the info that I can think of that would be relevant:

He is about 100-110 lbs

The bike is an '03 cr85 with stock suspension with the clickers in the stock position.

The forks are topped out in the clamps.

Race sag has been set.

Tires are brand new Mich MH3's running low psi (8-10) in the front.

Thanks in advance for any help :thumbsup:

The forks are topped out in the clamps.

If you mean that the forks are dropped all the way down (flush with the triple clamp) then that is your problem. Try raising them up to about 10mm's to start.

doc

you have probably already covered this, but make sure he isnt grabbing the front brake. I used to wash out my front end in the flat "easy" turns. finally realised i was dragging the front brake still when i started to turn, and it would just lock and slide. also i think softening the front suspension a bit helps?

I would look at the rebound and add a click or 2 and see how it is in practice. Heavier springs might help. Because from what you are explaining it sounds as if the forks are riding to low in the stroke and then rebounding quickly washing the front out.

So either adding a couple clicks of rebound to slow it down....also watch how it works on the other sections of the track after the changes are made. You can also add a little rear sag so the back rides a little lower going into the corners and takes some of the force off the forks...so if you have 95mm go to 100mm.

Moving the forks 5mm may also help too as mentioned...

theDogger

Your son is too big for that bike in stock configuration. Heavier springs will be required. Set the rebound to 1 turn out (From fully in) on the forks and have only the fork caps protruding above the top clamp. Add 10ml of 5wt fork oil to each leg. Comp 1 1/2 turns out. Set the rear sag to 90mm. Comp 1 turn out. Rebound 1 turn out. If you plan to keep him on that bike for a while you will need to purchase some heavier springs as well as a high bend bar. The stock bars may be preventing him from weighting the front wheel correctly.