Sign in to follow this  

Selling my DR650, suggestions on smaller bike ?

Well, I love my 06 DR650, but after more street riding than I originally thought, I'm buying a 1200R Sportster, still want a dual purpose bike, but would like something smaller, lighter and more nimble for trail riding, something in the 225 to 350 category. I'm open to all brands, any suggestions for a more trail oriented bike that is street legal to get to the trails ?? Thanks.

First answer these questions:

1. How aggressive are you going to ride off road?

2. How far are you going to be travelling on the road, and at what speed?

A Sportster? What the hell for?

Even with knobbies a DR will eat up a Harley in the twisties!

A Sportster? What the hell for?

Even with knobbies a DR will eat up a Harley in the twisties!

Because he likes the "thump" so much that two big cylinders must be twice as good? :thumbsup:

While I totally agree with you I've also learned that it's not always about performance. Sometimes there's a "feel" to a bike that overshadows what it will do.

There's a ton of nice smaller dirtbikes but if it needs to be road legal then that limits your choices. DR200, DR350, DRZ400, Yami XT225. Or if you don't mind new the new KLX250 looks VERY sweet. Of course none of these will be as happy at highway speeds as the 650 but if you are willing to truck or trailer it out to the trails or are willing to cruise out as a slower pace then they are options.

DRZ400. Went from the 650 to the 400 looking for something lighter, while still able to tour (with the correct amount of modding of course)

DRZ400. Went from the 650 to the 400 looking for something lighter, while still able to tour (with the correct amount of modding of course)

You need to get a long ride on the DRZ 400 before buying. I bought an '06, not having test rode one. I didn't like it. It was unstable on the road and buzzy, had a weak motor (low torque), it was front-end heavy, too tall in the saddle, and handled poorly. My dirtbike friend's agreed with me also BUT many people LOVE their DRZ's. You may love it too. Just get a ride on one first.

Well, I love my 06 DR650, but after more street riding than I originally thought, I'm buying a 1200R Sportster, still want a dual purpose bike, but would like something smaller, lighter and more nimble for trail riding, something in the 225 to 350 category. I'm open to all brands, any suggestions for a more trail oriented bike that is street legal to get to the trails ?? Thanks.

well, I just sold and 05 DR200, and have my Sportster 1200 on Ebay right now!

I enjoyed them both, but am going to get a DR650... it has the streetability of the Sportster without chrome to have to polish, and has even more off-road ability than the smaller DR.

If I was you, I'd stick with that 650

I agree with Navajo6 about the DRZ on the road. I love my DRZ, but cannot handle more than 10 to 15 miles of paved road before it starts driving me nuts. After mods, exhaust, gearing, and suspension changes my bike handles great offroad.

XR 250 L...can be had CHEAP, and a solid, dependable Honda.

If you got the bucks, people have been falling in love with the new Kawi KLX 250.

I had a 2001 DRZ400 and ended up selling it after only a couple of months. My hands would go numb within 1/2 hr of riding due to the vibration. The seat makes the DR650 seat seem comfortable. The torque was non-existent and the suspension needed to be completely redone (as does the DR650's). In any case, I can't recommend the DRZ400 for anyone other than a hardcore racer who has the time and money to invest in reinventing the bike and likes to keep the RPM's up in the 7000+ range.

I'd have to recommend the Honda XR250 for a 4-stroke dirt bike, but you'll need long legs to reach the ground as it's more set up for motocross. For short people who want a great trail bike and don't care about speed or style too much, I recommend the Yamaha TW200. It's street legal, low to the ground and has tires that will crawl over just about anything.

well, I just sold and 05 DR200, and have my Sportster 1200 on Ebay right now!

I enjoyed them both, but am going to get a DR650... it has the streetability of the Sportster without chrome to have to polish, and has even more off-road ability than the smaller DR.

If I was you, I'd stick with that 650

That's an intresting combination of bikes. It covers a huge swath of riding. Seems like it would be a blast. I don't do the chrome rub thing though.

I love my dr350se 94 model. $600 cant be wrong. I motarded it and ride the snot out of it. ninja 250 power in a lighter bike.

Another vote for the DR350SE, especially if you liked the 650 except for the weight. Get a '98 or '99 for the slightly better suspension. It's 40 pounds lighter than the 650 and 15 pounds lighter than the 400 and it has the six speed transmission that the 400 and 650 need. It's air cooled and has the "old school" screw type valve adjusters. I had a DRZ400, then a KTM450, then a DR650, and I've ended up with the DR350 for dual sporting and a KTM 250 4-stroke for off road. The 350 is fine on the road and better than the 650 in the woods. Plenty of power, but if you need more you can get a bolt-on 441 kit from Jesse @ Kientech and have even more. It also has a lower seat height than the 400, similar to the 650, and I like that since I'm 5'10".

KLX250 Seems like it's what you're after. Did you want to get something new? Cause bikes like the XR250L have not been made in the states since 1996...the same year the redesigned XR250R and XR400 came out.

Even the DR350 hasn't been made for a couple+ years here...I think, and is it really that much lighter?

I have a 1985 XR350R listed for sale in the classified section. I have a street able title but would need a light kit. Take a look see if it something you might be interested in

C Blank (Maryland)

hi

i have an 06 dr650 and a 99 klx250

the klx250 is a great little bike it will climb hills in the bush all day and with the 6th gear it will do 65mph no trouble at all

i ride with a lot of drz400 boys and my little 250 keeps up well on trails and goes even better in the tight stuff

and dont forget it has the magic button....gotta have the magic button

thats my 2c:ride:

You need to get a long ride on the DRZ 400 before buying. I bought an '06, not having test rode one. I didn't like it. It was unstable on the road and buzzy, had a weak motor (low torque), it was front-end heavy, too tall in the saddle, and handled poorly. My dirtbike friend's agreed with me also BUT many people LOVE their DRZ's. You may love it too. Just get a ride on one first.

yep. all that Navaho is saying.... the DRZE is a terrific mountain-climber off pavement, and a pretty good hare-scrambler when properly dialed in, but it ain't no pavement bike. needs a pickup truck to get between dirties

i think if you're going light, and you still want to run on the pavement.... yer talking ktm..... DR200's 250's 350's are not "lighter". they are just as heavy as the 650