Sign in to follow this  

Riding In RI and CT

Hey to all you local folks. I travel between these two states and I'm having trouble finding good solid riding with no threats of cops. I have a WR 450 and my inexperienced girlfriend has TTR 230. I'm trying to teach her properly how to ride, and it's becoming more and more difficult. If anyone has any suggestion where to ride instant message me and let me know. I'm also 26 years old so it I know how to respect where I riding. I just want a good place to ride.

Thanks

Hey man, i live in RI, and let me tell you, this state sucks!!! Seriously, there is no place to ride, except for tracks maybe. In Rhode Island, you can buy an off road license plate, but they dont give you anywhere ride. However, Massachusettes has a bunch of places to ride. Try goin to mass.gov or whatever it is and look up some trails online.

Hope i helped..

theres a great motocross track in rocky hill, ct..theres a big motocross track, beginner track with no big jumps or anything, and everything is rollable on it and then a quad track.. its awseome!

www.ctmotocross.com is the website

Hey to all you local folks. I travel between these two states and I'm having trouble finding good solid riding with no threats of cops. I have a WR 450 and my inexperienced girlfriend has TTR 230. I'm trying to teach her properly how to ride, and it's becoming more and more difficult. If anyone has any suggestion where to ride instant message me and let me know. I'm also 26 years old so it I know how to respect where I riding. I just want a good place to ride.

Thanks

Get a tag, and go to Thomaston Dam or Pauchaug. The dam is more set up for beginners. Lower open riding area, and some easier trails on the river side.

Get a tag, and go to Thomaston Dam or Pauchaug. The dam is more set up for beginners. Lower open riding area, and some easier trails on the river side.
Man... I want to ride that Thomaston Dam so bad! I hear it's near impossible for out-of-staters to get a plate in CT, correct? :thumbsup:

Man... I want to ride that Thomaston Dam so bad! I hear it's near impossible for out-of-staters to get a plate in CT, correct? :thumbsup:

well, if CT is strict about everything else, then i think so. I got a plate for Mass. and i live in RI. It wasnt hard at all, but thats for Mass. lol

Street or a CT ATV plate? You only need a CT ATV, or any state "Street plate" for thomaston. You need a registered "Street Plate" for Pachaug.

Why not just get a NY motorcycle plate?

well, if CT is strict about everything else, then i think so. I got a plate for Mass. and i live in RI. It wasnt hard at all, but thats for Mass. lol

Was that a MA ATV plate? If so, only good in MA state forests. Dont try riding on the road with that. Last I thought it wasnt legit at thomaston, but I may be wrong.

What everyone really needs is a true Motorcycle Plate. Bike should be Registered, Titled, and insured. Then you can go into any stateforest, thomaston, pachaug, down the road............

About how much land is there at Thomaston Dam? Is there enough to make a day trip out of it or only a couple of hours? Is there any challenging trails at all there?

About how much land is there at Thomaston Dam? Is there enough to make a day trip out of it or only a couple of hours? Is there any challenging trails at all there?

about 12 miles of trail.

Depends on your riding ability. You may get bored after a couple of loops. I usually spend a few hours there. Its nice if your testing suspension, or dont want to venture out to far.

There are some rock gardens on the west side.

This year was nice that the little pit area did not become overgrown with 5-6 feet tall grass. However, I have not been there since 7/17.

Why not just get a NY motorcycle plate?

No can do. I can't register either the TTR, or the YZF as a motorcycle in this state. They're both designated as off-road vehicles, and that's the only registration I can get for them. :thumbsup:

Other states don't have a problem. I'm in NY, and get a MA off-road plate for riding there no problem.

Was that a MA ATV plate? If so, only good in MA state forests. Dont try riding on the road with that. Last I thought it wasnt legit at thomaston, but I may be wrong.

Yes it is a Mass off road atv plate and yes i do know its only for mass forests. Im not going to ride on the road with the plate.

Theres a trail in the Freetown state forest, i beleive its 30 miles of trails. Im going there this fall.

There is lots of private property to ride on in RI. Join New England Dirtbikes forum and get to know some of the guys over there. Join a club or two and you will open up some pretty sweet riding possibilities for yourself once the land owners get to know you a bit.

This is the best advise I can give. :applause::thumbsup:

Has anyone riden in the Rhode Island Desert? I remember hearing about it when I was younger, people used to say it was awsome.

Has anyone riden in the Rhode Island Desert? I remember hearing about it when I was younger, people used to say it was awsome.
Not quite sure, but are you talking about the dunes area on the E. Greenwich/Coventry line? It's right off of Division Road.

I lived in Coventry, and drove by the dunes there daily. I can HONESTLY say that I've never actually witnessed any riders in there.... BUT... there are atv/dirtbike tire tracks in there, no doubt about that. There's also Jeep type tire tracks in there as well.

I know for a fact it's not legal though.

So.... I dunno... :thumbsup:

There is lots of private property to ride on in RI. Join New England Dirtbikes forum and get to know some of the guys over there. Join a club or two and you will open up some pretty sweet riding possibilities for yourself once the land owners get to know you a bit.

This is the best advise I can give. :applause::thumbsup:

where abouts in RI do you live?