Sign in to follow this  

KTM 2 strokes past 2007 ?

Does any one know if KTM will produce 2 strokes beyond 2007, or will they follow everyone else in the industry and discontinue 2 stroke production ?

I hadn't heard everyone else was discontinuing 2-stroke production after 2007. Hmmmm.... better stock up now before they're all gone.

hmmm.. doesnt really sound like you thought about this much.. ktm is trying to get the new 144 out.. they brought out a brand spanken new 125 and 250 2 stroke.. i dont think they would stop after one year of production of their new toys..

you have to remember that the USA is not the only place in the world that has dirtbikes. KTM probably sells more bikes overseas than they do here. So, KTM will be producing 2 strokes for a long time.

Does any one know if KTM will produce 2 strokes beyond 2007, or will they follow everyone else in the industry and discontinue 2 stroke production ?

I doubt very seriously that they are discontinuing. The '07 is new from the ground up. Generally manufacturers need at least 3 years of production to pay for the tooling and r&d on a new model. I would assume that they keep these in production and that the XC line will have the new chassis etc next year and beyond!

What is your source for this information? I assume you mean "importing" into the USA. I don't think manufacturers will stop producing a product with world wide sales due to something our EPA does.

I guess you haven't heard that a new 2 stroke that is meeting EPA standards has been approved and is out performing the power of the 4 strokes. So I see this new engine coming out soon.

USA is the only one trying to band two strokes and that band has been held off till after 2010, and the japanese manufactures are the only ones cutting down on production of two strokes to the US, they still be produced in the foreign countries.

As far as I know, KTM will still be producing 2 strokes for us non pro riders.

Its just mainly CA, and maybe other parts of the US that might make it hard to register a 2-stroke. I'm sure the rest of the world will be enjoying them long after.

KTM just put a whole new frame, fork, and motor in there 250SX, why would they do that if they planned to stop producing it?

Yep, I share the same thoughts as the rest of you concerning the KTM line up. They never seem to follow the "in crowd". I've had a Suzuki and a Yamaha dealer tell me I should look elsewhere for a 2 stroke after 07'. I can see how popular 2 stroke street bikes are in europe and can't see KTM giving in. I just wonder if it'll be difficult for importers in the future though.

I want to see one of two things happen.I want to see the new 144 compete with the 250 thumpers and a new 270 to compete with the 450's or I want to have seperate 2S and 4S classes so we get to see more racing and a new batch of rising stars.Like most of the others I think 2 strokes are going to be around for many more years.I also think that if an EPA approved motor in emissions as well as noise is approved we will see a reverse swing back to 2 strokes because of the cost to maintain and repair thumpers.

Yep, I share the same thoughts as the rest of you concerning the KTM line up. They never seem to follow the "in crowd". I've had a Suzuki and a Yamaha dealer tell me I should look elsewhere for a 2 stroke after 07'. I can see how popular 2 stroke street bikes are in europe and can't see KTM giving in. I just wonder if it'll be difficult for importers in the future though.

Yamaha had their dealers tell folks at the end of '05 that '06 is the last year for 2 strokes and their sales were great. Not sure if they will make an '08, but the dealers are saying the same thing this year!

Other than Cali, what states register dirtbikes?

In MO and KS, the bike gets registered when you pay sales tax on it at the department of revenue.

I guess you haven't heard that a new 2 stroke that is meeting EPA standards has been approved and is out performing the power of the 4 strokes. So I see this new engine coming out soon.
Do you have a link to more info?

Do you have a link to more info?

yup, where is this info from? I believe it is possible to make them run clean since they already have boats and snowmobiles doing it. As far as the power output, they already make way more power than a 4 stroke, but that seems to bother the 4 stroke lovers so they will chime in soon commenting on how the 4 stroke only fires every other revolution. That's fine, they are still heavy pigs!

I can't recall where I read it, it was like 6 months ago on one of the dirtbike websites, but it was about EPA approved a new low emission 2 stroke that met their requirments. Also the ban on two strokes was moved to be reviewed again in 2010.

I hope the 2 stroke stays around. Hopefully the 200XC will get the new SX look for 08.

THe two stroke KTM will live forever. They will have EFI in a year or so, AND they announced electric start on the 08 models, sooooo.... what do you think? Dead? Who cares, I just bought one!!!

Read in this weeks Cycle News test of the new upgraded 07 YZ250 that more and more of us are converting back to two stroke power cause "for some the two-stroke might be the answer". I know I did and it is.

We keep buying, they will find a way to keep selling........gotta love the smell of premixed race gas and that first wake up hit on a ride.

Forgot what I was missing.