New shocks, what to beef up?

I just ordered a set of Pro Comp ES3000's tonight, and a pre runner light bar. Anywho, while I'm replacing the shocks, I figure I might as well do some beefing up. The stock rear upper shock mounts already broke off, so I built some new ones from 3/8" steel plate. Beefy. What about the front mounts? Are they fairly susceptible to damage from washboard style bumps? What about the shock mounts on the rear axle? BTW, it's an '89 chevy 1500 4.3L, with 31x12.5's. Lift kits arent an option.

BTW, it's an '89 chevy 1500 4.3L, with 31x12.5's. Lift kits arent an option.

This is a four wheel drive, right? I only ask since I have been told by a few guys in the business that fitting tires that large on a two wheel drive (that model & year, at least) can lead to premature "worn-slap-out" front ends, because of the 2wd's front end design not built for the additional weight. (the camber, caster? I don't know what it's really called...the way the wheels will lean side to side in a turn...)

So you might check all the steering components if it's 2wd. Hell, even if it's 4wd, since you're gonna be in there anyway. And I've always thought poly bushings were money well spent on any ride.

gotta say the billy's or if you want to go a little more expensive go king. it all depends on the driving style your doing i have donhoes in the front on stock mounts but they are coilovers. and i have billy's in the back with stock mounts. the truck has been off the ground several times not very high but high enough for a DD. anything you can do to the mounts will be helpful thicker plates better welds.

It depends you are looking for a heavy duty shock that will withstand the abuse of hardcore offroading or something that will give you a good ride plus be capable of some real off roading. You mentioned prerunner, to me that means dunes and airtime, I would go with the kings or coilovers. From my experience while I was building my Jeep I learned something, be real with your intentions. While I totally planned to take my Jeep offroad I didn't need the suspension I first installed, when driving down the road (90% of my driving) it was harsh as hell, I went with Rancho, Edelbrock IAS performers, Rustys, and finally settled on a shock, Old Man Emu, an Ausi company, these shocks look an old Monroe off an 68 Ford but I have to tell you the ride was plush and soaked up everything offroad I would ever get into. I never went extreme offroad but these were great on road. They were firm enough to keep it firm in corners but potholes were gone. They were ugly yellow and I ended up painting them but I have to say they were the best of both worlds, on and off road. I dont know if they even make them for your truck but I would look into them. I think I paid 75$ each for them, worth every penny.

To clarify, I live in Massachusetts. There's no desert anywhere near here. The closest thing would be the beach where you can drive out, which has a 10 m.p.h. speed limit and is constantly patrolled. I ordered a prerunner light bar, because I like the way it looks. I'm not really looking to do hardcore offroading, just something that can handle the trail now and then. Anyway, no use in discussing the shocks because they're on the way. I figure I'll replace the front end bushings, see how the control arm mounts look, and if necessary beef those up. And, yes it's a 4WD.