Sign in to follow this  

KX85 cyl. boreable?

I am rebuilding a KX85 motor for some kid and the piston shattered causing some minor damage to the cylinder. Are these nikasil coated cylinders or can they be bored? Thanks!

After doing some reading/searching I came across another question. Would it be possible to put a KX100 cylinder on this bike? Most of the engine part numbers are the same.

Two things you can do:

1. Bore the 85 cylinder out the 100's bore and not re-port it - low/mid-end powerband.

2. The 100's cylinder/head fit. :thumbsup:

Two things you can do:

1. Bore the 85 cylinder out the 100's bore and not re-port it - low/mid-end powerband.

2. The 100's cylinder/head fit. :thumbsup:

Are you saying you get better bottom end from a bored 85 vs 100 cylinder?

dp

Is the cylihnder not plated, meaning a bore would require a replate??

Yes the OE cylinder is Plated. The plating would be Electrofusion.

When in dought try the magnet test.

A magnet will stick to Iron bore like glue.

Any overbores will have to be replated.

Thanks for all the help guys! Looks like I will be ordering a new 100 cyl. and piston kit, as well as a new crank and all the other parts to put her back together.

i had a leaky head casket on my sons 06 kx 100 which caused cylinder damage,my mechanic Friend told me i have two options the first being the most expensive was to re cut and re Nikasil second less expensive was to press in a steel sleeve which will last longer cause it can be cut 7 times up to 118 and if all you do is open ride and not race this is probably the best way to go..

i don't know if the 100 cylinder fits I'm not a mechanic but i have a feeling if you bore that 85 out to a 100 that will be the first and last time.

A magnet will stick to Electrofusion.

True. Very Very Softly. On the otherhand the magnet will stick like glue to a iron cylinder sleeve

The stripping process before a cylinder is replated uses Nitric acid, which will not touch Electrofusion plated cylinders. Nitric acid will dissolve a ferrous surface, but electrofusion requires that the cylinder be bored to remove the finish. Kawasaki has in the past few years gone to a true Nicosil bore.

The flapper will need to be trimmed back slightly, but it is very easy to do. Or just order the 100 valve. Part# 49116-1158 Tdub

Ok, one last question lol. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 02 and 03 KX100 cylinders? The 03 is 43 bucks more.

LOL good cause I ordered the cheaper one! ha thanks for all the help. are you the same fast forward from z400cent?

i don't know if the 100 cylinder fits I'm not a mechanic but i have a feeling if you bore that 85 out to a 100 that will be the first and last time.

The 100 cylinder does fit, plus there is one more overbore to 105cc.

The 100 cylinder does fit, plus there is one more overbore to 105cc.

Wiseco offers 2 oversizes for the 100, with the 2mm over making it almost 107cc. Tdub