Sign in to follow this  

Heat wraping Exuast Help!!!

ok everyone. Well a customers Yfz 450 (the 4 wheeler) I put a dual LTE Exaust on. Well it got so hot it melted through my boot. So i rigged up a little aluminum foil thing for the day until i could put exuast wrap on. When i did the wrap near the manifold starts smoking like crazy and making a horrible smell. I have never wrapped an exaust on this bike before. Is this normal? help please!

Yes the smell is normal and will stop eventually. If you put black on it will turn white and brown from dirt/mud. Also keep an eye on the wrap where the boot will be rubbing it. The wrap will start to cut itself. I also put wrap on my YFZ450, because it destroyed my fox over the boot riding pants.

My wrap on my XR650 took a few rides to settle down.

Two full seasons now and is doing great. So much cooler

with that stuff on.

I bought a 10' roll of automotive header wrap made from kevlar and did the exhaust on my YFZ450. It made a heck of a differance. You should be able to get the wrap at any good auto parts store, esp a speed shop. I took the exhaust guard off, wrapped the pipe and ended it at a screw location of the heat guard so a screw would stop it from unwrapping by going right through it.

eBay is your friend.

I paid about 1/4 the price that the local auto parts store was charging.

Get more than you think you will need, 2"X50' should do a few pipes.

I paid $8 for 10' at my local auto parts store and didn't use it all. I used about 7' of it. No waitng and no shipping charges either. When all else fails, try E bay. :thumbsup: