Sign in to follow this  

04 Tc 450 mikuni to keihin conversion

Yea I was lucky and fortunate enough to get my hands on a 2005 Keihin Mikuni TMR 41. It came of a TE 610 but i need to know a few things. I also got the te 610 throttle setup with the cables along with it, but the setup is just not fitting right on my bike. So my question is, is there a difference between an 05 TC450 throttle set up from the Te 610, and also since i am using the 04 grpahics ,tank, and shrouds, the hot start is hitting the tank so is there a way to remove that or cut the lever smaller?? Over all tho i did start up the bike and the keihin has all the stock jets and settings for the 05 tc 450 and what a difference it is already over the mikuni! I installed a quickshot cover according to the directions and i know this carb is bad ass. I also have a jd jet kit on the way. My bike is basiccly like an 05 engine wise because i installed a vortex x10 rev box, 05 stock camshaft (04 race cam), and has the new valves installed ( yep i had that 04 valve issue).

The choke lever is reachable with the 04 tank but the hotstart is tight against it and not useable. There is a KTM hardpart that changes the hotstart to a 90 degree bend and from there you can adapt a yamaha part that moves the hotstart lever to the handlebars (according to Tasky) or you can do like a few of us have and spend some cash and change over to 06 red and white plastic.

As for the cables, I dont see why they shouldn't hook right up. Are they the same length as your Mikuni cables? The Kiehnin carb I got was off an 05 TC450 and those cables were about 1.5 inches longer than my 04. I needed that extra too.

No the kehin cables i got were just as long as the mikuni cables. And yes, i also would need that extra length. I guess im gonna have to buy the 05 throttle st up. I do want to kneep my same 04 graphics and stuff because i like the egronomics of it better than the 05s and 06s, they feel to fat. Also could you give me a part number on that KTM hot start mod? Sounds like that woud work. And there was one more thing, the carburator acel pump cover is about an 1/8 away from the pipe, is that ok?

Motion Pro makes some extended cables for KTM that will work. I used one of those electric hot starts. Very easy to install and plenty of room with a stock tank. With an ims tank it's really close.

My bike is basiccly like an 05 engine wise because i installed a vortex x10 rev box, 05 stock camshaft (04 race cam), and has the new valves installed ( yep i had that 04 valve issue).

The 05 and 06 have bigger valves and this is a big part of the higher performance.

I never had an issue with the Mikuni, still don't. In fact it sure seems people have more issue with the FCR and everyone is getting the JD and quick shot. I don't get it. :thumbsup:

I think that part of the problem is on the 04 TC. The TC comes with the SA can installed and is probably jetted appropriately for it and a certain altitude. You don't hear many TE owners talking about the issues.

Lots of folks want to use the TI can that comes with the bike. This will require some jetting changes and fiddling with the carb. It really requires more that just the AP setting also, especially if you want to do mx.

Aside from Jerulator's settings I haven't seen many jetting recomendations that really worked well on the Mikuni. The Keihin will work just as well as the Mikuni without the quickshot and the JD jetting. The quickshot is just a gimick. I think that most of the improvements people see with the quickshot is setting the AP which it gives instructions for. The biggest thing about the JD jetting is his needles. Other than that it is just jets. The needles are nice though and can give you some additional upper midrange performance. I held off on this for a long time because I didn't see the advantage but after using the red needle (for my alt and temp) I would say it's an improvement. Bit pricey though just for a needle. Wish he would just sell it by itself.

My biggest thing is I just like the keihin carb better. I am just used to it since using it on KTM RFS and other Jap bikes. I can make the bike not pop on decelleration and run correctly with it. If I richened to get rid of the popping on the Mikuni I would affect the running of the bike.

I also think the bikes timing affects it's starting when hot. The keihin is not going to help there much.

Some people like the del orto's too.

If you can make it do what you want, run what you want. Will the bike run with a Mikuni, sure, will it run with a Keihin sure, will it run with a del orto probably :thumbsup: Just kidding I have a delorto on my 88 and it never has been an issue.

The Del orto on my 93 610 worked great :thumbsup:

The JD kit is expensive because it is very hard to make a long thin brass needle at those tolerances. I spoke to JD at great length one day about that. Your being charged next to nothing for the jets, it is just costly to build the needles. As you can imagine the needles need to be nearly exact which is always expensive.

In the end I really think in comes down to knowing how to jet a carb and understanding what to change in what circuit and how those changes overlap and affect each other. I think the FCR is an excellent carb but I personally have no issue with the mikuni. If I was going to spend $500-$600 on the bike it would not be on a new carb.

Having come from KTM I had fallen in love with the Kehein but as stock setup they are off.

1: the hot start, I would saw it off flush, IF you jet the carb right you will never need it.

2: The pilot jet, my 05 came with a #55, I think later they trimed this down to a #50?? They need a 42 or 45.

3: The needle, I use the JD red, I could certainly make do just fine with a Kehein (from sudco) of the "E" series taper (3rd letter). Any "D" series needs to be tossed!!! (note, the JD is a twin taper design that fall between the "D" & "E" and like ride said its a very precise piece of machining, that & some R&D is what you pay for, jets are cheap). I could live just fine with an OCEMP!

4: Main jet, when you switch from a "D" series to an "E" the main will be effected, with an "E", 41mm carb on a 450-510 I would plan on about a 158 main.

5: The accelerator pump must be de-tuned, it squirts way too much fuel, the 05 has a place to put a Leak jet but comes with an undrilled blank jet, (I think 06 has a #35).

Now understand the accelerator pump pumps too much fuel, the "quick shot" INCREASES the fuel. The quick shot was designed for the Jap bikes all of which have a leak jet, usually around #70 or #80 designed to leak off part of the huge squirt. putting one on a KTM (which until 07 did not even have a hole for a leak jet) or an 05 Husky carb which probubly has a blank jet is going to throw your tune up off so far you may never get it right. Throw that thing away.

Ok guys heres the update. As for the throttle cables, the ones i reiceved were actually after market motion pros! So i went do wn to gp and the hooked my up with a set of 05 keihin cables, perfect. So i now move to the jetting. The carb setting on the keihin were stock to what thre book said and i installed the quik shot like the instutions said, it ran excellent but it would feel just a llittle bit loaded up in the low rpms, but it wouldnt bog or anything. Today i get my jd kit in, put in the red needle, clip 5th down, 175 main, and 45 piolit. With the qs cover i have the air mix screw out 1 3/4, i think i may back of to 1 1/2 turns. But the bike runs awsome now! For some reason i thot the JD kit came with leak jets but i guess not. Also the difference between the 04 and 05 valves was just the stem diameter. Any performance gains? No but longer life? probably. I even think with the smaller valves stem diameter, it would give it a tiny bit more power. Who knows??

Ride,

On the needle, yes I understand. I really appreciate what JD has done but I would still like the option to buy the needle for a little less. I already had the jets and I didn't really need the fishing case it came in. I do think that the kit is a great idea though because he gives people everything they need (except a leak jet)

For the FCR yes I aggree not worth the 600 -750, but you can get one used from 150-300. Then that's a maybe depending on how anal you are about your carb.

Splinter,

There are extended motion pro cables available (2inch longer). When I had the stock one break I couldn't find a dealer that had the stock cables in stock so I stocked up on the mpro extended cables. Another trick for the short cables is to run the cables on the inside of the handle bars. I have done this in a pinch (heck my 250 still has this routing since new).

I would note what Dave says about the quickshot above. His explanation is the best that I have seen on the subject. He also talks elsewhere about using a diapram to adjust the squirt.

Good to hear you have your bike running well!

I have heard that the 06 Husky Jd kit was totaly off for the 05's.

Also, I remember reading the the quik shot cover actually stops the AP from running out of gas, and shorted the shot, but neverthe less, im gona tune wit hit becaue i had to pay $80 for it! What size leak jet should i install? I found a page in sudcos catalog where they have different size leak jets. im thinking a 60 or 70, but thats what I have been hearing.

Any M/C shop should be able to get you a leak jet, many will have them in stock. Just make sure they know what kind of jet you are talking about. Sometimes folks assume you are talking about the other jets. Sudco will have them and they will know what you are talking about. I don't know about adjusting the leak jet with the cover? Dave would be better to estimate that.