Sign in to follow this  

done basic mods, now carb or cam?

I was going to order the hotcams stage 1, but should I do the carb first?

If so which mikuni do I want, I will not order from xr's only, I'd prefer to get it locally.

Nothing against them, I just want to get it in Canada!

I found lots of complete Mikuni carbs here,

http://www.sportingforless.com/mikuni-flat-slide-carb-honda-xr400xr650-p-54.html

Not for sure about carbs,

but I bought a D.I.D. chain tool from this shop two weeks ago and

They shipped it really quick even on Saturday.

I know they are not in Canada,

But I just thougt you could visit them and buy one.

because they are located in in Niagara Falls, NY.

i used to get everything from them, then at some point i started having issues. after reading on here, it sounded like al baker passed away and shortly after the whole place went down hill as far as customer service, etc from what i gathered on here. i quit getting things from them at that point.

I've just read the giant thread on them in the XR650 forum... If only I had read that before placing my order...

Well, we'll see how things go.

EDIT: Got a reply today, they had shipped my stuff on Friday, but apparently forgot to tell me about it.

d.

What have you done to your suspension so far?

That's the first place to upgrade before spending money on the motor.

If you really want to go faster.

Mike,

I think you are right and I totally agree with you.

But I still recommend a Mikuni pumper

because it is supposed to be XR's original carb!

That's why we need it before tuning up suspension.

Disclaimer this is IMO:

I think the pumper carbs are WAY over rated for what they cost. I have two '96 one '99 and one '02 XR400s, one 96 is stock, one 96 is 416, the 99 is 426, the 02 is stock. Some have aftermarked pipes, some have '96 end caps.

I have been riding these bikes for 10 years and bought an Edelbrock pumper last year and had it on the 99 and the 02 and thought is was ok, but sure wished I had my $400 back instead.

I rode Mark-san bike and it runs good and all, but I think a big bore kit is a way better buy. If you do get a pumper, go Mikuni, as my Edelbrock has been very unreliable.

Bottom line on pumpers, if you want to wack it wide open and get a wheelie, buy a pumper. If you ride it like a touque monster 4 stroke then you don't need it and could get a big bore for less money and have a new top end.

If you have $400 burning a hole in your pocket, buy the carb.

Remember this is all IMO, have a nice day. :thumbsup:

Never mind what dale said, because he was talking about the Edlebrock, which has been discussed at length around it's durability. However, the Mukini is a whole other beast in regards to durability. And person after person that have the Mukini will tell you that it's awesome.

Bottom line, if you want over all throttle response and rideablility improved, buy the carb, I seriously doubt you'll regret it.

Do both big bore and pumper carb. I have the Edelbrock and love it, the fact that when you change elevations you adjust the mixture externally is awesome unlike the Mikuni which you have to take apart to re jet. We go to Cloudcroft yearly and re jetting is a pain for some. The pumper is nice for instant throttle response. It is nice to whack the throttle and be able to loft the front wheel over a log or boulder with out the stock carb hesitation/lag or jerking on the front end. It is less fatiguing.

Is the pumper mainly for ease of starting? Many posts I've read have bragged about how easy the bike now starts. My stock carb is dialed in, no bog anywhere and pulls strong. Starts on the 3rd or 4th kick, 1st or 2nd when it's warm. Is the pumper worth while for me then? I plan on doing v2r next year, which has some pretty good elevation changes. Should I get the pumper for that reason alone?

The stock carb is vacuum operated and requires engine vacuum to pull fuel into the combustion chamber, the pumper carbs have an accelerator pump that squirts a shot of fuel into the combustion chamber therefore the bike reacts quicker as it does not have to wait on the vacuum to draw in the fuel. If the elevation changes are substantial it wouldn't hurt to be able to adjust the mixture to make the bike run right, otherwise it will be sluggish. Hope this helps clear it up for you.

Is the pumper mainly for ease of starting? Many posts I've read have bragged about how easy the bike now starts. My stock carb is dialed in, no bog anywhere and pulls strong. Starts on the 3rd or 4th kick, 1st or 2nd when it's warm. Is the pumper worth while for me then? I plan on doing v2r next year, which has some pretty good elevation changes. Should I get the pumper for that reason alone?

Your sig says CRF250X. You already have a pumper.

How does the performance increase compare between the XR250 and XR400? Is there and equal gain for both bikes with the mikuni? Or does it not matter as much with the 250?