Sign in to follow this  

Gone (to CRF250R) and Back again (to YZ250F)

Yeah, same old tale. Had a 01 YZ250F, loved it and bought a CRF250R when they came out in 04. Learned about valves the hard way and back to Yamaha for reliability.

Seems I'm not alone; There's lots of references from people who have done the same. I'll spare you the gory detail, just that my CRF is needing it's 3rd valve job with only 60 hours on it. I've gone to extremes to try and preserve it, but it just wont last. My old 01 YZ250F (which I sold to a friend) is still going stong on it's original valves.

Prices on the 06 YZ250F's are great right now, so that's where I'm going. These forums are an invaluable resource when getting a new bike or if having a problem.

I'm back here now to see what all the hot mods are for a 06 YZ250F. You guys have probably seem them all many times over. Here's my short list:

* Applied triple clamps with 27mm offset

* Radiator Lowering kit

* Sag at 95-97mm

Which I'll round out with:

* 756 front tire

* Fastway F3 pegs

* Hour meter and magnetic drain plug

Am I missing anything? I know JD-Jet kits were big on the CRF's.

Welcome back to the Yamaha family. I love to read all the Honda people who say there are no valve problems on the CRFs.

You have a good start to the mod list, but heres some of my suggestions:

ASV fold away levers (so you dont break them when you lay the bike over)

An aftermarket pipe (I like Yoshi myself, but theres lots of good pipes on the market)

Regear it (a friend of mine went 4 teeth down on the rear sprocket and gained a lot of acceleration out of the corners)

You must be doing something wrong to go through 3 sets in 60 hrs.....

I find it hilarious when people swear by Honda when they are losing massive amounts of money dues to valve problems. I guess its either because they have never owned another bike and figure thats the way maintenance is supposed to be or the think the CRF's are as reliable as the good ol' XR's. :applause: You, however, are a smart one and I congratulate you on your return to blue! :thumbsup:

Regear it (a friend of mine went 4 teeth down on the rear sprocket and gained a lot of acceleration out of the corners)

I would not do this...doesn't sound like a good idea.

>You must be doing something wrong to go through 3 sets in 60 hrs.....

I'd agree, but I'm a vet rider big on maintenance; I've minimized risk factors

* Change air filter every ride; verified no visible dust in air boot

* Change oil often

* Don't over-rev

* Stainless valves

* In-line filters on carb vent lines

* Professional (& expensive) valve jobs (by Engine Dynamics)

I do ride in a dusty area and that's what Honda says is the problem - micro-dust.

These four strokes all run the same carbs and I found dust in my carb - hence the in-line vent line filters. There's been a few threads on this in the CRF forum. Has dust in the carb been an issue with the YZ's?

If anyone's interested, here's a link to some pretty nice in-line filters: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/866913.asp

according to transworld on the 06yzf250 go to a 49tooth sprocket on the rear...whoever did 4 tooth down on the rear that doesnt sound like a good thing

>I do ride in a dusty area and that's what Honda says is the problem - micro-dust.

So I guess Yamaha's (and EVERY SINGLE OTHER BRAND) just have better air filters :thumbsup::applause:

I love hearing the Honda guys try to support their brand, I'm glad you saw through the B.S. and got back to blue! :applause:

:applause:

Going down 4 teeth worked for my friend. He now has to shift more often during a race but he went from finishing 20th on average to getting routine top 10 finishes.

Keep in kind though, the tracks he races on dont have long straights, so he doesnt need much topend.

Going down 4 teeth worked for my friend. He now has to shift more often during a race but he went from finishing 20th on average to getting routine top 10 finishes.

Keep in kind though, the tracks he races on dont have long straights, so he doesnt need much topend.

Going 4 teeth down on the rear would make the bike go faster but lose acceleration so that probably didn't help him get better finishes.