Sign in to follow this  

front brake problems

hey i havnt posted in here forever! anyway the front brake on my '05 ktm450 is not there. the lever goes all the way to grip and doesnt have any stopping power. i tried bleeding it both by pumping it and opening the bleeder valve and by pushing upwards with a syringe like you would for a hydraulic clutch. also when i pumped it the master cylinder stayed full which leads me to believe there is a problem with the master cylinder pumping. is there a rebuild kit for this? i havnt been able to find one. please help i cant do stoppies anymore :thumbsup:

Turn both the adjusters on the lever all the way out, use a flat head screwdriver to push the brake pad on the piston side of the caliper away from the brake rotor to bottom the piston back into the caliper, then back bleed. Always tighten the bleeder nipple before releasing pressure from the syringe. Never introduce air into the system and suck out the fluid from the master cylinder reservoir with a turkey baster to prevent it from overflowing, or just stuff rags around it, but be prepared to make a mess. It's a two person job, but I've always done it alone with great results.

have a 05 450exc as well ,after 4000kms the front lever did the same,instaled the rebuild kit,still would pull in to the bars ,had to buy new master ,ktm australia have sold a lot of new masters,so a few people have had the same issue .If you do end up needing to buy new master get the 06 ,the power is alot better .

Turn both the adjusters on the lever all the way out, use a flat head screwdriver to push the brake pad on the piston side of the caliper away from the brake rotor to bottom the piston back into the caliper, then back bleed. Always tighten the bleeder nipple before releasing pressure from the syringe. Never introduce air into the system and suck out the fluid from the master cylinder reservoir with a turkey baster to prevent it from overflowing, or just stuff rags around it, but be prepared to make a mess. It's a two person job, but I've always done it alone with great results.

That's what I have found. You have to compress the brake pad/ piston all the way in before you back bleed the system. I remove the front wheel and use a c-clamp or vise grip to hold compress the piston. That makes it a one man job.

I've never had a problem back bleeding the brakes and never found it necessary to compress the brake pads. Make sure that the master cylinder is at the highest point when back bleeding.

yea i ended up just ditching the syringe and one way valve and doin it the "old skool" way; you know pump the lever, unscrew the bleeder valve, pump some more, hold lever in, tighten bleeder valve. it worked fine after that. im glad i dont have to buy a new master cylinder after all