Sign in to follow this  

Bad Raceday

I would like an honest opinion from you guys about an incident that I was involved in over the weekend. So heres the deal.. I was completely cleaned out by another rider in a lower section of track where nobody could see what was going on... I come down a hill with this guy hot on my tail, I go wide, he cuts low full gas and uses me as his brakes..... direct hit, like getting hit by a truck. Now I don't mean your typical block/hit pass, I mean this was way over the line, someone could have been seriously hurt. There was no way this was accidental... especially since he was yelling at me all the way to the hill. I couldn't hear what he was yelling but it sounded ugly. I won't even write what I think he was yelling.

I ended up on my head stuck underneath the bike... luckily not injured, just completely steamed :applause: What would you do next? So here is where the "two wrongs don't make a right" comes into play. I pick my bike up, get her going, and say f**k this race, I'm done racing today, so I head up the top of the hill leading to where he took me out. I sit there revving the bike just watching and waiting. Finally he comes around with second hot on his tail, and I jump in between the two and go in for some payback. I slammed him hard down in the bottom, but he didn't fall... so I slammed him again and were basically bar locked for 200 yards all way up the hill and down the straight away until he finally backed down. I wasn't trying to hurt the guy, just letting him know that if you want to play, I will play too. Feeling a little better, I head back to the pits. Now remember, I just had my life threatened with a motorcycle (so I felt in the heat of the moment), so he deserved that, but today I do feel kind of like a jackass. And yes, I do know I shouldn't have done that, but someone has to push back a school yard bully right?

The racing was completely clean up until this point, and has been all season so there is no reason for him to be pi$$ed at me. Maybe he was mad because I tripled by him where he only doubled, and he lost the lead... but thats racing and it was clean. Remember, I'm going to still race this guy for the remaining part of the season, and I don't want to have to worry about this guy every time he is showing a fender in a corner. Funny thing is, he is a cool guy in the pits, and we get along, he did apologize to me... but this was no accident, he went if for the kill literally. We shook hands and this is behind us, I hope. But how do you continue to race a guy who apparently isn't trustworthy?

And as for the guy who did this, if your reading this you know who you are, lets try and keep it clean. No need for someone to end up in the ER over shit like this... we both have to work on Mondays. Oh, And I will see you at the race next weekend :thumbsup: Seriously though, No hard feelings here bud :ride:

I would have been pissed and done the same thing you did or found him in the pits , but like you said two wrongs don't make a right.

i wouldn't be suprised if he goes for it again.be carefull. I think you were dumb going for payback..

I don't think I would have went a lap down just to take the guy out. Should've waited for the second moto and took him out when you guys were dueling.

You both want to win and sometimes in the heat of battle we do things that aren't to smart but they seemed like a good idea at the time. I have T-boned someone before thinking I had time to pivot while he railed unfortunately things didn't work out the way I had planned. I've also been T-boned before as well so it works both ways. Could've been he came in so hot he couldn't avoid the collision. Yelling at someone ahead of you is part of the head game so that's no big deal.

What you did by going after him was way out of line.

If someone waited on the track, came at me intensionally to take me out it would never be over!!!

I would have parked it, waited until after the race, then gone over to where he was pitted and broke all of his teeth. But then again thats just me :thumbsup:

I don't think I would have went a lap down just to take the guy out. Should've waited for the second moto and took him out when you guys were dueling.

I agree, wait until it counts. I also think that this is not going to be over between the two of you and you will always question "is he going to do something" when you see him in a corner or approaching you.

It was already the second moto, and I was a lap down by the time I had the bike running. This guy has a reputation for taking out guys hard, this crap seems to happen on a regular basis and he had already took out the series leader in moto 1. He definitely wanted to take me out, cause he knew if he didn't he wasn't going to win.

Grow a pair, racing is racing, dirty racers have been around since the invention of the wheel. Do you want to come down to his level? To get involved after the fact a lap down isn't cool at all. What was the your resultin the first moto? and his? Me thinks the answer to this question would change some thoughts.

You right..........2 wrongs don't make a right. Let's hope you have both moved on and there won't be a 3rd time.

It's hard not to fight back in the 'heat of the moment'. It's a good thing you two had a nice talk in the pits. At least now he knows how you feel about getting slammed and how you will react if it happens again. :thumbsup:

If you recieved an apology and then accepted that apology with a hand shake,why are you still going on about it here on this forum? I think you should grow up, act like a man, drop the whole thing and move on.

yeah what you did was wrong but at the same time you also had the adrelenie (sp) flowing and you wernt thinking right. But the next race if he does it again just fly right past him because that will get under his skin so to speak. It seems like it is high school all over again once you dont let the bully get to you he gets bored and gives up. I know its hard but just dont let him get to you and he will sooner or later get the hint to back off.

I am not sure how you handle it at your local track, but in our state series it would be better to let the track ref know what he did and to look for him to do it again. Riders have been banned from racing at local tracks and from state series for agressive riding. Our series does not tolerate actions that may get someone hurt or killed. Getting payback is just lowering yourself to his level, and validating that those kind of actions are OK. Nothing has been gained by what you did.

JMHO

I am not sure how you handle it at your local track, but in our state series it would be better to let the track ref know what he did and to look for him to do it again. Riders have been banned from racing at local tracks and from state series for agressive riding. Our series does not tolerate actions that may get someone hurt or killed. Getting payback is just lowering yourself to his level, and validating that those kind of actions are OK. Nothing has been gained by what you did.

JMHO

Yeah what mudflaps said :thumbsup:

The best way to handle these kinds of things is to use the system. If this kind of thing happens all the time then they are probably already looking at him. Now they are looking at you. We have had problems with riders before and a couple times it has resulted in serious injury to the kid. It's OK to raise hell AFTER the race but it should be done to the people that are responsible for the safety of all the riders at the track.

Doing what you did only placed everyone else's safety in jeopardy and is a definite no no.

We had one guy that would zig zag all over the track to keep you from passing and when you did get a chance to pass him he would kick the back wheel out from underneath you as you went by. This was a great big ol black dude about 300 lbs. My kid told me about what was going on and I started watching and sure enough I saw him doing it one day. The only problem with waiting was that this time my kid did go down and got ran over by three riders in the process before we could get the caution flag waving and the situation under control.

I wanted to kill this guy and thought of going over to him and letting him know just how I felt. But while I was helping the EMT's tend to my boy I got the talk with one of the track officials about what had been happening and I let him handle it. I did tell him as I was leaving the track to take the kid to the ER That I would be back, and, if he didn't handle it I would. After that none of the kids ever had any problem with this guy again. On top of that, we got several other flaggers assigned to that track just to make things better.

Aside from that, After several races went by I went to this guy and talked to him about the incident and why I ratted him out. It turned out that the guy is pretty cool about it and we now help each other out from time to time. This guy will never win a race and he knew it. I guess he just figured as long as he could keep everybody behind him he would finish closer to the front. I guess no one had ever explained to him proper race etiquette.

I agree with mudflaps.

Years ago we ran MX at our local fairgrounds. I alternated between flagging and announcing. One race I watched a butthead take out an 'innocent bystander':

Older guy racing a KDX or something like that, obviously purely for the fun of it. He was being LAPPED by the doofus who came up underneath him in a huge berm and bowled the poor guy over like a rack of ten-pins.

My "ref" happened to have also seen that and came running over to me to see what I had to say. I told him it looked pretty deliberate.

We had a serious talk with this guy in the pits, and told him he'd be 86'd if he pulled any of that crap again. We found the KDX guy and told him sorry about that.

I think the doofus was from further south in LA or something, and he figured up in Ridgecrest we were a bunch of hicks. Hope he thought again - good ole Ridgecrest has consistently produced top Intermediates and Experts in both desert racing and MX for around 40 years or so. And these days the Ridgecrest Motorsports Complex hosts the Viewfinders Grand Prix and two events on The Big Six series.

Anyway, yeah, I think it's worth saying something to the officials. It may not fix your immediate incident, but it might be the next-to-the-last-straw that gets a dangerous and unsportsmanlike rider shown the pit exit.

If I were you I would practice 3 days this coming week and just work on corners the whole entire time...That way, if you practiced right, he won't be showing a fender in the corner...You will

If you recieved an apology and then accepted that apology with a hand shake,why are you still going on about it here on this forum? I think you should grow up, act like a man, drop the whole thing and move on.

I agree with you mobius. If 02YZ426 would act like a man, he would show some class and not keep this thing going after he shook hands and accepted the other guys apology. Why be two faced?

MxBaller621 has showed the best advice on this situation in my opinion. If you are faster than this guy, he will never be able to pass you.

MxBaller621 has showed the best advice on this situation in my opinion. If you are faster than this guy, he will never be able to pass you.

Not necessarily true, the fastest guy does not always win. It helps but just being faster than everybody else is not a sure sign you will win every time. A slower rider or a crash right in front of you can knock you out of the race quick as anything. Then the track has a way of jumping up and biting you in the azz on occasion too. :thumbsup: