Sign in to follow this  

02 DRZ400s jetting suggestions?

have an 02 49-state DRZ400s. bike is in ca now. have big gun pipe, k&n filter and the snorkel has been removed. bike runs ok but i know it could run better, cleaner, crisper. any suggestions for sea level jetting?

I have basically the same setup, but seem to be having a few issues. At low RPM if I hammer the throttle, the bike will seem to miss or hesitate and then burst to speed. If I unload the bike by engaging the clutch and then blip the throttle, the bike will die as if it's flooding. Temps here range from 30s to upper 90s, pretty humid as well, with elevations from S.L.~4,000ft (usually riding around 550~2,500ft). I could really use some help here...Also, where should I set my idle? The manual states 1,400-1,700 RPM.

01 DRZ400s (sea level)

Big gun exhaust

3x3 Mod

DJ needle 4th clip

Mikuni 140 Main

Mikuni 25 Pilot

Keihin extended screw (2 turns out)

Is my jetting setup even correct? Is it imperative to use the DJ slide spring? I can't remember if I changed it or not, but I'm pretty certain that I did. Thanks in advance for any advice you could add!

Bump.

After doing more research I think that maybe I should step the pilot back down to 22.5???

So after work I was able to do a little more tinkering. For those of you interested, this is what I found. Somehow the button cap on the needle had come loose and launched the needle spring into my slide spring, causing the needle to hang up and flood the bike.

Rechecking my pilot and mix screw setting, I felt that the bike was still running a little lean. I decided to keep the 25 pilot in, but I reverted back to the stock 142.5 main. With 2 1/4 turn out on the keihin mix screw, I think I've finally got the carb up to par. My current elevation is ~570ft. Eddie, what do you think? Should I move one step up to a 145 main, or leave the current setup for flexibility? I have still managed to kill the bike a few times by abruptly blipping the throttle from an idle (unloaded during testing), but this didn't happen too frequently.