Sign in to follow this  

No ORV Use in Whatcom County

Found this site through the nwwheeler board, very slanted and exagerated, and NOT in our favor. I sent a very long drawn out e-mail about the inacuracies of their views, I think if enough ORV supporters join their group, we may be able to change the thinking in the favor of equal use for everybody.

http://www.savesumasmountain.com/

Yeah that's the way it has been going around here. I was the organizer for Whatcom and Skagit counties for the ORV rally in Oly this year and the turn out was dismal to say the least. It seems to me that most of the riders around here just think someone else will do it. That's why we almost always lose. The Greenies turn out in big numbers to support thier side. And our fellow ORV riders are out riding thinking someone else will do it. Seems to me many of the riders around here (some of my friends included) would rather risk a $200 criminal trespass ticket than try to do something about it.

They seem ignorant to the fact that

1. It would be funds created by us to support the ORV opportunities up there. (NOVA, ORV Tabs, etc....)

2. By opposing a sanctioned ORV recreation area they are inviting tresspassing and resource damage.

3. ORV use is a legitimate recreation. Their definition of "Multi-Use" is a little to narrow if you ask me.

Oh well........ there's atleast one of these tree huggin' elitest groups in every county, and it's usually started by an adjacent land owner that is pissed because some idiot with a loud pipe is riding near by and then sees the popularity the tree huggers have with the general public and decides to jump on the band wagon. Their home page states that the foothills provide timber harvesting opportunities It just kills me when someone will say that harvesting trees is OK but ORV use is not...... :thumbsup:

Hinkles bill I looked for this and couldn't locate it. I'll remember this when we vote. It looks like he's on their side. If your not a voter you may want to start.

Their home page states that the foothills provide timber harvesting opportunities It just kills me when someone will say that harvesting trees is OK but ORV use is not...... :thumbsup:

Yeah, don't ride there! We don't want you to mess it up w/ with your dirt bikes before we clear-cut.

Has anyone ever seen how much oil pumps out of a broken hydraulic hose on a piece of logging equipt?

I actually consider myself to be a bit of a tree hugger and DO believe that there should be places off-limits to ORVs but these groups that say stuff like "No ORV use in Whatcom County" are just silly.

And like most tree huggers, I'm also a hypocrite - I feel it's fine for ME to ride anywhere I feel like w/ my quiet bike and due respect for private property and other respectful users but I don't want to share it w/ fat-asses on quads, 4x4 a-holes that ruin single track or squids w/ loud pipes. We really need to police ourselves because some of us are fu(king it up.

-Tyler

i am really tired of these tree hugging hippies who dont even use the land that try to ban ORV use just cause they are bored... would they rather we go out and do drugs and steal? we are causing no harm by riding on these trails... but looking at the pics it may need some help and some volunteers to patch some areas up...

and i agree that there should be places designated to ride and places that are not

Hinkles bill I looked for this and couldn't locate it. I'll remember this when we vote. It looks like he's on their side.

I wonder whcih of Hinkle's bills they are talking about?

Most likely it is HB2617.

As passed, that bill allows counties and small cities to designate specific roads open to ORV use. A very pro-ORV peice of legislation. It allows small towns to have ORV access straight into town so we can visit their gas stations, stores, motels, etc.

Win-win legislation. :thumbsup:

See link below:

HB2617

Generally speaking Bill Hinkle is on our side. I've worked with him and his staff to assure that legislation various was crafted carefully and with our concern covered. If you perceive him as the enemy, I'd like to hear a rational explanation rather than an ignorant slam.

I thought this might be a useful page. Since any action they take is complaint driven don't you think it's time they heard our complaints? Please keep it civil. Acting like an arse only reinforces the Greenies statement of us being irresponsible.

HELPFUL LINKS

Mike McFarlane

County Parks Director

3373 Mt Baker HWY

Bellingham, WA 98226

Phone # 733-2900

Email: mmcfarla@co.whatcom.wa.us

William Wallace

Manager NW Region

DNR

919 N Township Street

Sedro Wooley, WA 98284

Email: williamwallace@wadnr.gov

Stan Koralski

Special Use Permits

DNR

919 N Township Street

Sedro Wooley, WA 98284

Email: stankoralski@wa.dnr.gov

Kelli Linville

Representative 42nd

Legislative District

Chairperson Economic Development Agriculture and Trade Committee

104 West Magnolia Street No. 306

Bellingham, WA 98225

Email: Linville_ke@leg.wa.gov

Use these Links to search the Whatcom County Code and learn how to obtain a CITIZEN INQUIRY REPORT

Any action Whatcom County takes is completely COMPLAINT DRIVEN

WHATCOM COUNTY COUNCIL MEMBERS

Seth M. Fleetwood (360) 671-5599

sfleetwo@co.whatcom.wa.us

Sharon A. Roy (360) 371-4144

sroy@co.whatcom.wa.us

Laurie Caskey-Schreiber (360) 354-3225

lcaskeys@co.whatcom.wa.us

Dan McShane (360) 647-3744

mcshane@fidalgo.net

Sam Crawford (360) 671-7262

campfam@comcast.net

Barbara Brenner (360) 384-2762

bbrenner@co.whatcom.wa.us

Ward Nelson (360) 671-8145

lordward@aol.com

I thought this might be a useful page.

William Wallace

Manager NW Region

Stan Koralski

Special Use Permits

If you are going to contact the DNR concerning Whatcom County it would be advisable to send your messages to Bill Wallace. He runs the region. Unless someone is applying for a Special Use Permit, Stan will be out of the loop.

The Public Use Manager for that area is Christ Thomsen. It's OK to contact him too, but he is not supportive of ORV use and was the guy behind getting Walker Valley temporarily closed a few years ago.

4x4 a-holes

Yeah, the 4x4 guys actually have people in olympia fighting to keep stuff open, and do as much trail work as bikers, but we'll just over look that little bit of info. :thumbsup:

It's the same situation with many outdoor user groups. Hunters, fishermen, ORV users, all have a certain percentage that's made up of slobs who leave trash, tresspass, and damage property. It all comes down on everybody.

I think we all need to work together. Which is the Idea behind W.O.H.V.A. And I think the Jeep set works just as hard if not harder than us bikers and have been doing it longer.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way. Do you see diffrent sides of the Sierra club fighting back and forth? No. Everyone needs to get over the Bikes vs 4x4 vs quad crap and fight together, or we're gonna lose ground.

This is a letter my Nephew wrote to the Save Sumas Mt. Greenies. I thought it was much better than the one I wrote. Did anyone else bother to write to these people? If we don't speak up in Huge numbers we will end up being locked out of everywhere.

The letter:

To whom this may concern,

I had your site sent to me in an email. I am offhighway user. I enjoy the mountains and trails of this area. I take great offence to how you perceive the off highway community. Believing that we do not care about the areas we use, is just plain wrong. I've been invovled in clean ups all around this state. Not just organized ones but every time I'm out. Garbage is garbage doesn't matter who left it anyone can pick it up and make a place better. Yes we shouldn't have too, but there are people who need an education on how to take care of places like this. Not kicked out to goto the next place and do it again till there kicked out of there. See the cycle?

Although who is the problem hikers, orv user, horse riders, bicyclists,hunter etc.

Or is it partiers under age drinking and so on. I used to camp at north fork area with my family and extended family for weekend get aways. Staying over night in one of these areas would give quite awake up to where a lot of this trouble comes from. As far as this goes have you ever tried to get a sheriff up there when problems occur. Doesn't happen like you would expect. ie ( 911 operator) We'll try to get some one up there. Some of the problems your organization address are the same as us. To us it takes one person in a offroad vehicle to do the activities you describe and it is assumed that we all do this. You can't judge whole group by the actions of few.

You talk about the costs involved in running areas like this.The money is there it comes in the form of orv tags, orv tax on all fuel bought, grooming fees, not to mention countless hours and donations put in by responsible people and groups. The problem with the money is it goes to general fund and doesn't in my opinion get allocated out correctly.

The areas for riding have been significantly reduced. Just because it is a dirt road does not allow orv use. I wish it did though. All forest service land have to be street licensed vehicles unless designated otherwise. DNR land typically use the orv tag or street license. I would imagine this is so they can bid for orv tags money.

The other thing you may not take into account is the money brought in to communities of whatcom county do to offhighway use. Such as dealerships selling orv. The dealerships selling trucks and rv's around to move them. I have $80,000 invested into to my truck and rv trailer alone to move my orvs. Don't tell me that didn't help out some where and that's just myself. We usually buy food, gas,repairs at times, and use the resturaunts in the area. Ever wonder why there is so many resturants east of Deming? It's not because of the huge population.

I hope this dosen't land on deaf ears but open ears of people who enjoy this puiblic land.So that we can all enjoy together with understanding between each others views and needs to create balance. Working together will get us a lot further than putting some people in suits getting rich off our differences between us.

Thankyou for your time

Dave and Tracie

Responsible users guyjeepin@verizon.net

This is a letter my Nephew wrote to the Save Sumas Mt. Greenies. guyjeepin@verizon.net

Unfortunately, they neither care what he thinks or own the land in dispute.

Tell the DNR and your state representatives.

Start with Department of Natural Resoures Northwest Region Regional Manager:

Bill.Wallace@wadnr.gov