hole in case...need recommendations

on which way to progress...hole is just larger than a pencil (a fractured piece was removed after the pics were taken) and just outside a driveshaft bearing. Motor is an 03 Yamaha WR250F in great shape.

pic of location:

holie_case_05.JPG

pic closer in:

holie_case_03.JPG

I could try JB Weld, or TIG weld, or replace case, or part out...if you have thoughts (pros and cons are good), please respond.

yeah you can either get an experienced person to weld it, or you could get some quick steel, it starts off as a stick of stuff that is like plastecine and after a while it goes as hard as steel and can be drilled, filed and tapped, surposed to be good enough for permanant repairs.

I'd do the quick steel route, tig welding may drop some slag into the hole during the welding process, and get some chunks into the gearcase.

It looks like there is plenty of meat to hold support the output bearing, and I don't think a hole that small would compromise the integrity of the cases as long as you seal it good with something structural.

I should have started a poll!

3 votes epoxy (JB\quicksteel) 1 vote TIG Weld

Diode663: I did find a very good welder...one savvy farmer discouraged the epoxy route because of engine vibration...anyone every epoxy their crank case successfully or not?

Did you notice the bearing seal number through the hole? Close. There's also a little pore that leads to the counter shaft for lubrication that I need to keep from blocking.

Keep those thoughts coming.

What is wrong with getting a new outside case...It shouldn't cost a whole lot because it isn't one of the inner cases...I would do it right and not half ass it

Don't need an new outside case though. It is the inside case that is brokie - which is $425 plus shipping...labor is another 200 to 300 bucks.

Ouch~!

If you want future problems at the most inopportune time I would JB weld it, If you want to do it right and not have to worry about it again, then tig weld it. It would be best to split the case to do, but you could always take the chance that your bearing race would not warp under the heat, personally I think you would be OK.

Id JB Weld it. If it stands up then good, if it falls apart, you can always try something else. Tig welding it would be my 2nd choice.

I go the other way, TIG would be my first choice, but a headache. You can try the JB route and keep a CLOSE eye on it.

Just a touch late, looks good the price is right.

JB weld it, scuff it with a file, wire brush, sandpaper. Then clean with rubbing alcohol, and fill the hole with it. I fixed the underside of my sister's XR250 tranny when we bought it, now it's covered by a skid plate and it's been fine for like 750 miles...

EDIT: Ooops, guess I should have read the whole thread.... Looks like a nice fix though.

Looks like a damn fine job, thats a tight spot to get into. And the price is REAL fine.

So, when you heading out to test it?

I'll do a garage test today...5 minutes with new oil and then drain, then Friday, with new oil, it looks like it'll be a family ride in the Coast Range (by family, that means a couple trails and a bunch of logging roads). Another oil change for good measure.

Then there will probably be a 'big boy' ride either Saturday or Monday where engine temps should be higher...we're planning a trip to Gifford Pinchot NF for a big trek on the 9th so I hope there's been enough time out on the motor to flesh out any issue.

anyone every epoxy their crank case successfully or not?

i have, yes.

it was on my XR80, the chain came off at WOT and did some major damage :applause:

part of the counter shaft seal was still there, so we put soem blue epoxy on there and it worked for a year for me, and is still working for the people who own it now. ?

I think I did. He charged me $20. He was welding some pretty think stuff off a custom Harley when I got there. Here's his work:

fixed_case_01.JPG

Repair looks great, send work that guys way, hard to find people to do that good of work for cheap...

Yeah that was a nice job that guy did. And at the right price too. JB weld would probably work for some period of time, and then let loose when you didnt need/want it too. My friend jb welded a small hole in the case and after trying this 3 times he gave up and got it tiged, which held forever and will hold forever.