Sign in to follow this  

Tricked out Box Van

what ideas you guys do or have to do to a u hul im getting a u haul so i can starthaulin my bikes, tools, friends bike and a place to crash the night before the races.. any ideas of what i can do to this? inside of it? i have ideas like make the deck uptop like a bunk, tool boxes, etc shelves. any ideas??

First, a U-Haul may not be your best option. U-haul is not known for doing the best maintenance and repairing things the right way or in a timely fashion, and the drivers of these rigs beat the snot out of them. I'd look for a good clean cube van before resorting to the U-Hual route. Get the dually, not the single rear wheel, the GVW is almost maxed empty on the SRW.

The top deck as a bunk may get toasty at night, but if you put some windows in the overhead, you'll get airflow across. Another must have is some roof vents, so the heat can rise up and out. These can be had at any motorhome dealer, and installation is as easy as a sawzall, hardware and caulking.

Another must would be a good walk-board. Thats a ramp about 10 ft long, 30 inches wide that slides into the undercarriage of the box for storage.

A good workbench and permanently mounted toolbox with all your bike tools on board will make life much easier. A air compressor, even a 12V cheapo is invaluable, but you can get ones that run off the engine accessory drive, and mount a 10 gal storage tank that will be great for cleaning carbs or airing flat tires.

An awning would be nice for those hot days when you want some shade.

A genset would be nice, but not a must.

First, a U-Haul may not be your best option. U-haul is not known for doing the best maintenance and repairing things the right way or in a timely fashion, and the drivers of these rigs beat the snot out of them. I'd look for a good clean cube van before resorting to the U-Hual route. Get the dually, not the single rear wheel, the GVW is almost maxed empty on the SRW.

The top deck as a bunk may get toasty at night, but if you put some windows in the overhead, you'll get airflow across. Another must have is some roof vents, so the heat can rise up and out. These can be had at any motorhome dealer, and installation is as easy as a sawzall, hardware and caulking.

Another must would be a good walk-board. Thats a ramp about 10 ft long, 30 inches wide that slides into the undercarriage of the box for storage.

A good workbench and permanently mounted toolbox with all your bike tools on board will make life much easier. A air compressor, even a 12V cheapo is invaluable, but you can get ones that run off the engine accessory drive, and mount a 10 gal storage tank that will be great for cleaning carbs or airing flat tires.

An awning would be nice for those hot days when you want some shade.

A genset would be nice, but not a must.

really? i always thought u hauls weere maintained and shyt... i was looking to get a diesal u haul..butwhat were you saying bout the storage under the carriage?tru were def putin vents in and windows.. my price range for a "u haul" is bout 3,300 my dad owns a body shop so im good on gettin it fixed and re done..

The ramp I spoke of is called a walkboard, and most moving vans and many cubes will have them, are made of aluminum and damn handy, and slide under form the rear.

U-Huals get used hard and put away wet, I used to be a Ford Tech and worked at a light truck only dealer, and let me tell you, U-Hual wouldn't fix it unless the thing couldn't be driven. Brakes, engine issues, trans problems, tires, and general maintenance all cost money, and they did not like to part with theirs. The main reason that U-haul sells their fleet off is they are smoked. :applause:

Try Craigslist, sometimes used cubes can be found there real cheap, I am in the process of looking myself. I want something I can pull a camp trailer with, and still haul my bikes from the campground to a riding area without having to pull up stakes like a Toyhauler does. Another advantage for me is I'd be able to leave all my stuff on board, and ready to ride at a moments notice! :thumbsup:

yea tru.. i dont want something thats hug big n bulky lookin i want something thats u haul size not suttin wit size of a 18 wheelers wheels on i ll i wantit to be good on gas n big lik u hauls are wide/long n still not bulk n shyt..

******* you need a lesson in english grammar. I can hardly read the shit you type.

******* you need a lesson in english grammar. I can hardly read the shit you type.

yaeh liek lern how 2 type n shyt

:thumbsup:

ahahaha sorry guys, i just type way too fast lol my bad... and i type with one finfer idk why i just cant type with home row.