Sign in to follow this  

DR650 jetting/exaust/k&n filter ???

I'm wanting to jet my 2001 DR650 to give it better preformance. I dont have a clue what I need jet wise, All I know is to gather all the parts needed and take them to my local bike mechanice and have him install them (or install the jet), I'll install the rest.

I like to be able to wheelie easier then what I am able to now, I do have 14/48 sprockets, but it is still hard to ride a wheelie. Someone said the jet kit will make the DR650 pull up in first 3 gears. Can someone advise what I should get?? would you recommend the K&N filter at the same time? along with exaust? which exaust? (FMF?SuperTrap, or WhiteBrothers that I am seeing now as an option?) And do they make a jet kit for the dr? or do i just have to order what jet I need for the combination I have? thanks in advance!!

Is your DR stock except for the sprockets?

Put on a full system, open the airbox and rejet.

Still will need clutch for wheelies up to 3rd though.

what would you recommend then? Jessee has the K&N with some kinda pull over deal to go with it?

I ride in dusty areas alot

As far as the airbox goes, I just drilled 4-1" holes in mine with a 1" wood bit and installed these in the holes. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/White-Brothers-Filtered-Air-Box-Vents-for-Cycles-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35597QQihZ017QQitem Z270023296621QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Then i removed the snorkel.

If you don't want to pay the cost for a complete jet kit you can order jets and parts for the BST40 at http://www.ktminfo.com/partscat/Part...20851&CatID=60

They even have a adjustable jet needle. Much cheaper than a dynojet kit. I bought a factory jet kit before I found this site. Bummed me out! The factory kit sucks. Took a long time to get it just right. I had to buy a FMF Q2 to get rid of the gases faster. Only lost 3mpg though. I have rejetted many carbs throughout the years. And the DR was by far the hardest to get right. Maybe it was just because of the factory kit? I think if I had it to do again I would just adjust the air screw so it isn't so lean at idle.

If you ride in any dust at all get a Twin Air, No-Toil or other 2 stage foam filter.