Sign in to follow this  

The CR85 Vs 125L

Hi all, i am new to TT still a little unsure about this, but i do need a little help:

i am 15, (short), riding about 2 1/2 years and would like to know whether a two stroke or a small four stroke would be the way to go.

i am too small for a 125 (two stroke)

thanks in advance

What kind of riding do you intend to do? MX or Enduro? Or just trail puttin?

What is your skill level? On a 1-10, 1 being barely able to handle a clutch, 10 being a class A rider that makes the top 5 every week.

i will be doing trail rides, with a few large jumps, i dont race, but MAY try try the local "kamfari" if i get good enough, i do know how to use a clutch, can definitly manage it (did farm work on a crf 100-boring-) chasing sheep gets interesting on the clutch!

Well, the TTR 125L makes a great trail bike, and has HUGE potential for hop ups, and is rock solid reliable. Not the most powerful bike, but reliability and ease of maintenance is great. Needs a frame cradle from BBR right out of the box, and some basic mods to reach its best potential. Check the TTR forum for the list of free mods.

The CR85 can be a handful on more technical riding, but the power surge is a blast, but will tire you out faster. Can be a fun bike, and doesn't need much stock to be fast.

TTR's can be had much cheaper here in the states than a 85 of similar age.

how short are you? i am about the same age as you and short but i am going to get a 125 or 250 smoker and lower it. i have been riding quite a bit longer than you but i would get an 100 2 stroke or a crf150.

I have both a ttr125 and a cr80 bigwheel for my 15 and 12 yr old girls,

my 12 yr old rides the cr80 and says WOW dad my bike is way faster then the 125....the 80 is a tad taller also..

I think you will be very happy with a small 2 stroke. CR 85's are very fast and the suspension should be enough to change your mind. They are a little harder to maintain if you want them to stay running in top condition.

You also should check out the KX 100. My girlfriend had an 05, which she recently sold. That bike was fast. The KX 100 is has smoother more controlable power than the other small 2 strokes. I am 215lbs and that bike was enought to pull me around. I was very impressed with the power that bike had. We made one trip to the sand dunes in coos bay and it was able to pull me up any hill I could find (at horsefall camp ground, stay in the powerband). We saw a CRF 150 parked at camp because the girl who brought it was not able to get enough power to ride it at the dunes.

For me the decision is easy. Whatever you get you will have fun on it. :thumbsup:

Thanks, i am not heavy but i would like the suspension of the CR

i have had a look at the mods, but the fact is the Yami/Suzi/KTM dealer is a bit slimey anyway, and there is only three bike stores i know of in Darwin (Nt motorcycles,

Baxters(Kawi), Precision honda I am looking for fun and a blast

by the way plenty of people have 2 strokes here

mileage is not a problem

as for oil and airfilter maintenace,it has to be done any way, on any bike!

a top end, i actually want to give it a go too

but mainly i need a change of pace

CR977,

125 smoker IS probably a little too much

and i am much less than 60kg, so it would cost a lot not only to lower

but also to rework the suspension for my weight (or lack of it)

but thanks for telling me an other option

thats it for now

How tall are u?

thats what i have been trying to figure out to, how tall are you? if you say over 5'4 i am going to reach through this computer and slap you.

Quote: thats what i have been trying to figure out to, how tall are you? if you say over 5'4 i am going to reach through this computer and slap you.

you have reason to be anoyed, i havent been able to use thumper talk for a while

For pure seat-of-the-pants thrills, go with the CR.

For a mellow, no frills ride...the 125L.

(not trying to knock the Yami...just attempting to convey the differences)

And while the CR would probably require some more consistent maintenance, it's a breeze to learn and go through, just because of the simple design of the smoker...

Personally, no matter whether smoker or stroker...I like the ability to light 'em up at any moment. But I am a major junkie of tire-shredding, testosterone-dripping white-knuckle power!

RedRider, roughly 5ft 2inches, i know i am 163 centimeters tall, not in your units though

the CR is not a stradle to get onto

i ride a 02 cr80rb or expert(bigwheel) and i love it, i am the exact hight you are and it is just right for me, a cr80 has a seat hight only 1 inch taller than the ttr the rb has a seat hight 2 1/2 inches taller i think that is about 6.25 centemeters i may be wrong though. but the cr80rb has larger tires and only weighs 1 pound more than the regular cr80 and the larger tires will make obstickles on trails easier and if you ride tracks whoops will be easier. hope that helps

Yea i saw that that CRF will take over in the Race scene

I can imagine the maintenance though,that is a 10 grand bike too! :thumbsup:

would be fun though. it looks trick i told dad about it and he said

"i like the two stroke better, at least we can fix it ourselves"

Yea i saw that that CRF will take over in the Race scene

I can imagine the maintenance though,that is a 10 grand bike too! :applause:

would be fun though. it looks trick i told dad about it and he said

"i like the two stroke better, at least we can fix it ourselves"

Where did ya get 10 grand from? MSRP is 4199.

:thumbsup: