Sign in to follow this  

An Oil Question, But a Different One?

I bought a generator for the impending doom from possible Hurricanes. The generator calls for SAE 30 oil and get this 37 ounces. I have a 5 quart jug of Rotella T 15w 40, could I use say 34 ounces of Rotella and dilute it out with 3 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil. I've read a bunch about breaking in engines, would the Mystery Oil make it too slipery for the rings to set properly? Like any engine I would like to start the break in period correctly to help with longevity of the engine. Any thoughts.

It shouldnt be any problem, the amount that you are using to dilute it with is so small that I dont see any reason why it would cause a problem. I often times use as much as a pint to dilute in our cars. Hope this helps, good luck.

I bought a generator for the impending doom from possible Hurricanes. The generator calls for SAE 30 oil and get this 37 ounces. I have a 5 quart jug of Rotella T 15w 40, could I use say 34 ounces of Rotella and dilute it out with 3 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil. .

Sure you could, but why in the world do you think you need to? Just use the multiweight oil you have. It doesn't need to be thinned.

Better yet, buy a case of quality 30W dyno oil at WalMart and use that. If you live in a cool climate get 10W30 synthetic for the cold start protection. A generator is very low tech and doesn't need any snake oil ingredients to break it in correctly. Just run the sucker - it only revs to 3600 rpm. And change the oil often. It will probably outlast you if you change the oil twice a year and keep stabilized fuel in the tank.

John Davies

Spokane WA