Sign in to follow this  

Clutch slipping BAD after .............

When i was working my way down a trail, somehow a dead limb laying on the trail long ways, got caught in the front wheel spokes......well the front whell stoped and i kept going. the bike took the main hit on the left side of the handle bar "clutch lever side" but i also have bark-busters. when i got up and stood the bike up i noticed that while the limb was stuck in the spokes that it was also stuck in the chain guide below the rear axel....could never make it happen again in a million years....it was jammed in both ends pretty tight. So there you have it. Also tweaked the handle bars a little. I let the Rekluse do 99% of the work. after i got bike up and started and took off noticed that the clutch was slipping bad but was not making the "chirping" sound associated with a "rekluse clutch slip" just have to rev moter pretty high to get it to start pulling. Plan on checking the primary gear nut and the nut between the clutch basket and the inner clutch hub. I hope thats where the problem is. just retorqe the nut and go. hope its not something "BAD"!!!!

The first things you should check is the clearance between the clutch plates (.035" to .045") and then the condition of the clutch plates.

What make and model bike??

As your handle bar and bark busters took the hit, make sure the bark buster is not touching the clutch lever. A friend fitted a set of bark busters to his 525 EXC and put the slightest pressure on the clutch lever, which was enough to cause the clutch to slip. Unfortunately it took him two sets of clutch plates and a slave cylinder strip before he realised what was happening.

HTH