Sign in to follow this  

bar length

are alot of people cutting there bars down? is shorter/ cut down bar, going to help, or is it better to keep the standard length? what are the pros doing?

Forget what the pro's are doing...you gotta have your bike set up for you. An easy and basic way to get a rough idea is to do a few pushups or bench presses...with a few different hand spacings. Which spacing between your hands is most comfortable and feels like you have the most control. I'm most comfortable with the inside of my hands (thumb-side) just a little wider than the widest part of my shoulders when in riding position.

This is primarily trial and error, until you figure out what works best for you. If you're going to cut your bars down, but aren't quite certain of the length...cut them a little longer at first, then try it. 'Cause it's always easier to remove more bar than to put it back on!

good advice, never thought of trying stuff like push ups. sounds like a really good way to figure it. thanks, ill try it. i guess what i was really asking about the pros and stuff was,...does a wider bar give you more control...or whats it do for you.

I race MX and HS, and my bars were approz 32". I always felt they were too wide, but I was like you...felt it was more of a leverage thing. After a while of complaining to myself I cut about a half inch off each side and totally loved them. I feel I have better leverage because its easy to corner with my elbows up high and lean the bike. Please understand that it could be the woods rider in my that desires the smaller bars.

The push up idea is a great one too.

bars come in different lengths too so if you know what you want u can just get that bar. i just ordered the jimmy button bars which happens to be the longest from tip to tip from renthal. thats not why I got them though.