Sign in to follow this  

monkey butt shorts

I am looking for some help find a pair of shorts. i have read all the forums on how to prevent monkey butt by standing more but still want a pair of padded shorts. It is very hard to pick a pair without seeing them.

I have seen impact shorts with padding all over but really looking for something just like cycling shorts just with a wider pad. Not really interested in padding anywhere else. Does anyone have a recommendation on this type of shorts?

I think cycling shorts are as wide as you would want a pad. Just go down to your local bike shop and try them on. Get the gel ones. If you want additional protection pads, I'll give another vote for the EVS.

I have a couple pair of the vented EVS shorts and recommend them as well. The first time I rode with them on I noticed a reduction of monkey butt... :thumbsup:

I have the EVS shorts also. They do work great, just make sure you hand wash them everytime, don't get lazy and throw them in the wash on delicate. The but padding will start to unstich, then you have to pull out the 7th grade home ec skills and start sewing.

I have always worn padded cycling shorts, but I used Balmex (like boudreaux's butt paste) on my most recent ride, a 200 mile dual sport, and did not have even a hint of monkey butt.

661 makes some pretty good riding shorts.

Chamois crotch plus they have hip and tailbone padding

Do you guys wear undies under the cycling shorts??

No. It kind of defeats the purpose. You want that chamois against your skin.

This is a great topic! Let me add my .02. I do not think it is the padding in the shorts that prevents the "Monkey Butt" but rather you want shorts that will wick the sweat away from your skin. I have been wearing the Under Armor Heat Gear type shorts for the last 3-4 years and I have absolutely no more problems.

^ that is correct. I wear the UA type shorts when riding my streetbike to prevent butt burn after being on the bike for 500+ miles and 12 hours at a time.

This is a great topic! Let me add my .02. I do not think it is the padding in the shorts that prevents the "Monkey Butt" but rather you want shorts that will wick the sweat away from your skin. I have been wearing the Under Armor Heat Gear type shorts for the last 3-4 years and I have absolutely no more problems.

bike shorts are designed to do the same thing. I also use bodyglide, coated on the chamois. It works really well.

I have used the cycling shorts as well and they really are much better. The only thing I have noticed was that the lycra material seems a bit slick in my riding pants.

I used to wear the plain compression shorts, and although they did help to an extent, they still left much to be desired. Then I bought a few pairs of the Nike biking shorts, and goodbye monkey butt!

Jock strap.

It's too easy to get undies wadded up where you don't want them. :thumbsup:

Ive got the MSR jobbies with a tailbone pad and the crotch pad.....excellent for me....I love them

And to add the this thread.......get more than one pair for a weekend trip