Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F - "no changes"

Re "no improvements to the 2007 230F", here's a story: my youngest son (yep, I'm THAT old) is halfway through getting his MMI certificate, in Phoenix. MMI has sponsorship agreements by several manufacturers--including Honda--to provide "test mules" for their curricula. These are bikes that come through the door brand-spanking new and are used daily as teaching tools. One of the mainstays at MMI is the 230F.

Brian says a perfectly functioning engine on an average mule gets a complete engine tear-down and rebuild about once every 10 days. At the completion of each re-assembly the instructor runs the engine at the rev limiter to "test" the assembly.

By the end of the class year the 230F has been rebuilt approx 30 times, at which point various threads start to strip out from all the re-torquing they've received. At about this time the instructors, knowing that the engine is basically toast at this point, will see how much more abuse they can take. He personally watched them take about half a dozen ball bearings and load them on top of the piston before they bolted the head back on. They started the engine and it made an interesting noise and one-by-one started spitting the balls out the exhaust. After about 10 minutes, no more balls banging around.

Now the instructor is interested. He pulls the head back off, drills a 1/4" hole into the top of the piston, doesn't bother cleaning out the aluminum bits he's just deposited, bolts the head back on, starts it up. It runs. Again, making some odd noises, but it runs and makes power.

So now the instructor shuts it down and drains the oil. Fires it back up and runs it at the rev limiter for 3 minutes before it seizes up.

Point is, the 230F is a very good motorcycle design, front to back, top to bottom. Is it a CRF250F/X? No, but it also costs almost HALF what a 250F costs. AND requires loads less maintenance.

You want 30 hp and have an extra 3 large in your back pocket, go buy a 250F (or any other brand, 4-valve, race-suspension, all-disk-brake 250). Otherwise, go out into the garage and admire your sweet 230F.

Personally, I love the 230. Honda has slotted the 230F right EXACTLY where it needs to be, and they know it. For the price, it's a great bike.

Ride safe, all.

Interesting information...

Do you have any pictures of your plated 230? I would like to see the mods since your also in PA. I always wanted to do the same to my 230 but its gone now...

No pics yet. Just got it home from Massachusetts Sunday. I live in PA but both my dirt bikes were licensed elsewhere, as I have heard that doing the registration conversion in PA is not pretty.

Anyway, I will have pics posted to My Garage in the next week or so. Right now the 230 needs some TLC, the guy I bought it off of was a "casual" rider. Whoever did the sloppy install of the BD dual sport kit should be shot. But I am not complaining because I got a good price and love working on bikes. It'll be ready for show and go, soon. It's gonna be my wife's bike and she's on my back to get it finished, bigtime.

Life is good.

Check back into My Garage in a week and I should have pics.

Ride safe.

He pulls the head back off, drills a 1/4" hole into the top of the piston, doesn't bother cleaning out the aluminum bits he's just deposited, bolts the head back on, starts it up. It runs.

You really expect people to believe that?

I run a very large landscaping company in Orlando and I have seven mechanics all year long. MMI sends me students. To date I have had about 10 that have worked for me. My head mechanic is also a graduate from MMI and they have all told me about these tests. I'll see if they can't get me a pic. One more interesting fact if they ride dirt, all but one swears by Honda.

You really expect people to believe that?

Why would my son make up a story to say how great the 230F is built? He doesn't own a Honda, he owns a Harley. And I didn't own a 230F when he told me the story. But I do now.

Why would me son lie to me? Believe the story, or don't believe it. Its a free country.

Ride safe.

I can say this - I've pulled down 2 stroke race bikes that were so high compression being run on pump gas - with timing that was way off that had HOLES all the way through the piston - like molten lava holes... the bikes were blown up but they ran until they blew up. That hole had to start small and get larger - I had one piston (Wish I had kept it) that had a hole the size of my thumb. When I tore it down I was like "OH MY GOD I'VE ONLY HEARD ABOUT STUFF LIKE THIS I DIDN'T THINK IT REALLY EXISTED!" it was like I had just seen Sasquatch! LOL

Mike

I agree that some of Honda's best designs are their simpliest. The old 2 valve head motors are some of the smoothest and most durable, maybe not high tech.

Even my XR250 4 valve head makes a little more racket than I prefer and exactly how much more do you get from that? I don't think all that much. I start the 94 XR100 and it is smooth as butter.

I can remember when the rfvc motor was available in 84 on the xr 200,i had a 83 xr 200 at the time .I rode one of these 4 valve buckets and thought what was the point.my 83 2valver had way more bark and top end .You cant kill these motors ,,,unless you have no oil in it.Honda knows what there doing trail bikes are the bread and butter for the off road industry.The brands reputation rides on durability.and relibility,,,so on..Honda could care less about how to make a 250f last,it's not designed to be a durability king.The 230 was and thats why Honda sells more crf 230s and 150s,100s 70s 50s.than all other brands combined.If you want a real offroad bike it has to be aircooled, reliable as a hammer,and simple and ofcourse a honda 4 stroke.Sounds like a 230f to me :applause::applause::thumbsup:

06 230f

piped .jetted.revbox

wiseco 11.1 piston

boondocker nitrous( in the works)

84 xr 500

83 xr 200

01 trx 400ex

Interesting information...

Do you have any pictures of your plated 230? I would like to see the mods since your also in PA. I always wanted to do the same to my 230 but its gone now...

PGer555, I just posted pics of my wife's CRF230F with the Baja Designs DSK. See "My Garage". When we took delivery of this bike, one of the problems I noticed was the Baja Designs DSK had been installed very sloppily by the previous owner, IMHO. To get the BD front headlight assembly to mount in an intelligent way, I had to relocate the CDI from its stock location on the front of the steering stem. Took me hours to figure out the best / safest location. I finally decided to move it to the left side of the voltage regulator. Works great there, the fuel tank fits a bit more snug now but no problems. Now the headlight assy mounts correctly and there's no rubbing / interference with the CDI like before. :thumbsup:

I have a set of Bridgestone TW39 and TW42 dualsport tires in-route from Bike Bandit. This coming week I am going to install the tires, rewind the stator and upgrade the H4 headlight bulb from 35w/35w to a 55w/60w. As well I am changing out the older style BD handlebar switch that is on the bike (no idea where the original owner got it?!) to BD's much nicer current style that came in last week.

I will post new pics when the tires, switch, etc are changed out.

On the stator rewind, I did my '01 XR650R two weeks ago and had no problems. I have not seen too many threads on doing your own stator rewind on the 230F, other than going the Ricky Stator or BD route. So I may post some pics and tech info for the 230F rewind, after I finish and test it.

Ride safe, all.