Sign in to follow this  

Front tire... do I ever need to replace?

Hello All

I have had the same front tire on my WR for 3 full seasons. The tread is fine, none of the nobs are worn down. There is a lot of dry rot however..... will my bike perform/handle better with a new front?

Also, i think I am going to run trials tires if I dor change. I hope they will work well in the East coast woods.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Mine never last long enough to dry rot. The knobs start tearing off from the sides.

I don't think a trials tire would work well here in the northeat with the varying soils, rocks, mud and roots.

My rule of thumb is to replace the Front tire once for every two Rear tires ...

Trials tire!?!? I swear by Dunlop 756 for all but hard pack

If your tires are rotting get new ones. That's like asking if you should throw out moldy food. Eventually, the tire will shred and you'll be out a lot more in hospital and mechanical bills than the 50 now. Give the new Pirelli tires a try! They do great all round.

the knobs round out before they wear down. Get a new tire and you will see the difference.

the knobs round out before they wear down. Get a new tire and you will see the difference.

Like Matt said.

Front tire traction has a lot more to do with sharpness of the corners than it does height of the knobs.

Since you don't like replacing tires, go ahead and try the trials tire. But I've never heard of a MX bike with a front trials tire, I'm pretty sure that a MX bike needs the front side lugs to corner properly.

Check the Off-Road forum and do a search for trials tires - you'll find several good threads!