Sign in to follow this  

? for those who have 2 sets of wheels

I think I'm sold on getting myself a 2nd set of rims, but I don't really know what I want. I'm not so sure that I want to go to a SM rim. I think I'd rather keep the stock size (or close to it) rim and simply have one with the Street tire and the one with the mud tire. Has anybody else done that?

Also, I notice with many of the people who swap rims, it looks like the brakes are upgraded to a larger rotor as well. Is this the case or am I just seeing things? If so, how do you manage to switch between rims with 2 different rotors.

i did some searching but It seems that most here go with the SM rim. I guess I'm just not a big fan of that little tire up front. It just doesn't look right to me.

Nothing the matter with going to SM wheels...But it turns the DRZ into a different kind of bike...

I went with stock size wheels and just mounted the Deathwings on them for Road Use...That's a happy compromise...Smooth on the road and still usuable on a dirt road riding conservatively...Swap back on the other wheels with knobbies for real dirt riding...No caliper relocator brackets required...

The guys that go with bigger front brake rotor is mostly the SM guys who need much greater braking from the front like a streetbike but since you have only one rotor vs. two rotors on a streetbike hence the reason for the single large rotor on SM machines...

Staying with Stock sizes are easy and cheap...You could go with SM wheels and then just get a slightly larger rotor for both the dirt and SM wheels using a single caliper relocator bracket...A 260mm with bracket relocator would would still be OK on the dirt and be a compromise setup for the SM wheels...

Just depends on what you like....

Yeah, it sure does look funny... you can't imagine the number of people that just scratch their head in wonderment when they see my bike. I personally like the fact they can't figure out what in the heck its all about.

As for the brakes, you simply get a relocator bracket for your caliper for the bigger rotor. I personally run the same size rotors on both rimsets. Which I will change as soon as I get a few extra bucks.

Actually, my switchover is realy easy. I run the same chain for both setups. I have a rotors and sprockets on both rims. The only thing I change besides the wheels is the front fender.

I run a second set of OEM rims that I got from a guy that went SM with his 04S.

$475 was much cheaper then an SM kit and I had $500 cash at the time.

I also run the 280 rotor on my street & dirt set.

Ill eventually go to 17's for my street set, no doubt they work better.

But Ive been very happy with the way these stick in the twisties for now.

Here is an old post:

There are more expensive choices but Ive been happy with

the Cheng Shen Barracudda. 3.00/21 - 130/90/18 on my OEM DRZ rims.

I have another set with agressive DOT knobs for dirt.

$100 from my dealer, they stick very well in the twisties.

Got them after reading a thread in the TT SM forum from a guy

that tried a bunch of different combos on the track and liked these.

chengsh_c926_c915_barracuda.gif

I have a second set of OEM wheels mounted with DOT knobbies. The original set has the Deathwings on them and I will change brands but keep the same concept when they wear out. FS is a 14 and I put a 44 RS on the street wheels and 47 RS on the dirt wheels keeping the chain length a non issue though I may have to explore 13 / 47 at some point. Both sets have rotors on them. Change over is quick and simple.

Well, there you have it, everyone has given solid advice and opinions! I'd only add that before you put the 17's out of your mind, give one a try. It's a blast! :thumbsup:

Is is possible to slap a set of S or E wheels onto an SM? I was thinking of getting a wave rotor or something for the 17 street wheels, and putting the stock one onto the dirt wheels. That way I wouldn't have to relocate the caliper...

yes they have different size rotors. I just took them off the SM wheels and put them on the E wheels.....no problem no fuss. Takes me 20 minutes to do the swap. Once I get and extra set of rotors to leave on the wheels that time will be cut in half.

yes they have different size rotors. I just took them off the SM wheels and put them on the E wheels.....no problem no fuss. Takes me 20 minutes to do the swap. Once I get and extra set of rotors to leave on the wheels that time will be cut in half.

+1. LOVE IT!

Some really good input here. Thanks all. I think I'm going to go with the stock size rim though.

aspencop129, WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE LIGHTS!!! I really like that.

Can anybody recommend a place to pick up a second set of OEM size wheel sets? TT Store?

It's from a Buell CityX. Do a Buell headlight search and you'll find info. If you need more, PM me.

TT store is probably best place to get the wheelsets! :thumbsup:

I think I'm going to go with the stock size rim though.

Make sure you ride a SM before you make the decision. Its a whole new bike.

PS - PA 666 on the SM was probably the most fun I've had on the street.

well, unless somebody here lives in Portsmouth, NH and they're willing to let me take a spin on their bike.... I don't know how I'm going to try SM.

I sure would love to though.

I got 17's, bigger rotor, and relocation bracket, takes 25 minutes max to change (to include phone ringing and beer drinking), when I swap chains and gearing it adds maybe another 10 minutes.

17's are way fun, the steeper fork angle alone transforms the bike, if you can afford it go to the 17's (mine came with my KLX and didn't get taken by the thieves).

I run deathwings on one set with 15/39 on the street and run 14/39 on my full moto knobbies in dirt. Michelin s-12 on front, m-12 on the rear. I love it!! :thumbsup: Don't seem to like D.O.T knobbies. :applause: vanram